Friday, August 30, 2024

Something pretty . . .

Outside my window - It's just a gorgeous day today!  The sun is shining, although it is slightly overcast, just enough to keep the temperatures down.  It's only 68 degrees right now . . .  Perfect!  

One of the reasons I love this time of year is that everything is almost at it's prime.  It's blooming, ripening, waiting to be picked, and like us, loving the cooler temperatures.  

I wasn't able to plant my garden until the beginning of June, and so it's just too late for tomatoes to be beautiful and ripe.  They are trying to get ripe, but they are just not where they should be for August.  I know that some people have great tomatoes this year, but mine . . . Not so much!   The wind has also been so bad here, that the vines look like they are just worn out!  I do have quite a few cherry tomatoes, and we have been enjoying them with every meal, and they will make wonderful sauces and can be canned and stored for winter.


My grapes need a few more weeks of this cool weather to get really good and sweet.  I only have two bunches because of their late start, but these are a wonderful table grape and we will enjoy them.  They're starting to get a little bit of color, soon they will all be blushed with purple.



On my playlist -  I really love old vintage music, especially this time of year.  


I could do a whole post about the music I love!!  But, not today 😉

On my to-do list - There are a few things in my home that need to be taken care of before it gets too cold, but it can all be done and taken care of in a few months.  To make a very long story short, we had a flood in the basement, and now we need to finish some of the rooms that were damaged.  It won't take long to do the things we need to do, just hard work . . . and we're old.  We have cleaned it all up, moved everything out, and decided what to do, but now we just need to do it.  My children have all said that they would help, but they are busy with their owns lives, and so we are going to just plow through, we can do it!  I'm grateful for our good health that allows us to do these things.  I'll post photos when we are done.

What I've been creating - A couple weeks ago, Amber took these hot pads to my grandson's wife to give as a gift to her brother and sister who were visiting the United States from France.  She hasn't see her brother for over two years, and it's been a year since she had seen her sister.  I'm so grateful that I had these hot pads to give to them.  They loved them, and were anxious to bring them back to France to share with their mom.  Such a simple gift, but anything homemade is special.


I am now replenishing my stash.  These hot pads are so easy to make, and they make a lovely gift, along with a delicious loaf of hot bread, or a warm casserole.  And, it's a great way to use up your stash of yarn.

Lisa also had a birthday!  I think the best gift she received this year was the visit from her brother and sister. 💕  

This is a photo of Christian and Lisa last year when they got married.  They will be celebrating, one year in September.


What's coming out of my kitchen -  I made chili sauce with those beautiful tomatoes.  




This particular batch made 11 pints of sauce.  Depending on how thick you like it will depend on how many pints you get.  This is not a spicy sauce, although you can put red pepper flakes in it and make it spicy if you like.  We just like it to be flavorful, not spicy.   It reminds me of chunky ketchup . . . Only better!

Grandma Taylor's Chili Sauce

8 Quarts of chopped, ripe tomatoes (peeled or unpeeled)
6 chopped green peppers (I use 4 large peppers)
3 c. chopped onion
2 c. sugar (white or brown)
1/3 c. salt
1 quart apple cider vinegar
1 tsp each; black pepper, cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg, allspice and curry powder
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper or red dried chili peppers (optional)

Put all of the ingredients into a large heavy bottomed pan (Watch carefully - because of the sugar in the recipe it will scorch, cook on a slow simmer). Cook until thick. Seal in sterilized jars. Process in hot water bath for 20 min. Makes between 12 - 8 pints.

We eat this on EVERYTHING!  My husband loves it on eggs, soup, casseroles and all meat.  I love it on ham and bean soup, burgers, hot dogs and fried potatoes.  It's always on the table at our house.

I bought a box of peaches to share with my daughter.   I used to can them, but we just don't eat enough to go through that work.  I will enjoy them fresh and freeze the rest to enjoy this coming winter.  


A photo from my phone . . . Indy in her normal sleeping position . . . 😂🤣  We have grown to love this funny little, fluffy, noisy, sweet, girl.   She makes me smile and laugh every day.  I'm so glad she is with us!


And a beautiful sunset picture, taken at my daughter's home one evening . . . 


A thought to leave you with . . . 



Be safe, hugs and love,

Barb 🍂







4 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb! What a nice post! I love that sunset picture! Simply gorgeous. My garden has been so disappointing this year. For some reason, my tomatoes are not ripening either, and of course, I think we have a neighborhood rat or racoon that is feasting on some of the things I had such hope for - like all of my grapes. I need to rethink my garden for next year. I love those hotpads too - what a simple yet useful gift! So sorry to hear about the flood in your basement. That is not at all fun. So glad your children will help you get everything fixed up the way you want it. Glad to hear that things are going well for you. Hope to see you again soon!

Shug said...

Good afternoon Barb. Happy Birthday to your Lisa...she is a beautiful young lady. And look at you making all of the chili sauce..It looks so pretty and I know it has an awesome taste. Doesn't it make you feel so good when you've completed a task such as putting foods up in jars? Wow, those peaches are big and gorgeous. I know you have plans for some good desserts made out of them. I sure wish I had the talents you have. The hot pads are great gifts by themselves, but adding a loaf of bread or a casserole would make a lot of folks do a dance. Great post as I always enjoy reading about all you have accomplished. So sorry about the work that you all need to do to get your basement area back together. Have a great weekend...

Lori said...

What a nice post Barb!! I loved all of the beautiful pictures documenting your days and life. Sorry to hear about the basement issues. Tasks like that are never a fun thing to do and a lot of work. I hope you enjoy the Labor Day weekend and have a fabulous September.

Jennifer said...

Oh Indy!!:) What a great post. So many great photos and lots of sweet things happening. Hope all goes well with that to-do list. Sounds a bit daunting. And I love those hot pads. I would love to receive one of those for a gift...such a sweet idea. I know I have said this before but, goodness, you live in a beautiful part of our country! Thanks for sharing a glimpse into your world. Happy September to you!!

Embracing Fall . . .

I've been loving the new feeling in the air . . .  It feels like fall . . .  Finally!  It seems like every day gets a little cooler.  In...