Sunday, August 25, 2024

More happiness and gratitude . . .

I don't think a day goes by that I'm not happy and grateful for the blessings in my life.  Yes, I have really bad days, but there is always something to be happy and grateful for. 

Monday - Today is my oldest daughter's birthday!  Amber is such a bright light in my life.  She's fun, funny, a wonderful mother, wife, daughter, sister and friend.  Amber is generous with her time, but especially with her love and support.   She has so much on her plate, but is always willing to help others, no matter what their needs might be.  She has a contagious laugh, a beautiful smile and is loved by all who know her. There are no strangers in Amber's life, everyone she meets becomes an instant friend.  

We had pizza and brownies with  Amber and James - it was a fun night, can you believe that her husband put on and lit all of those candles?!  You will have to count them to find out how old she is ;0)



Tuesday - Nathan, one of my grandsons, started school today.  A new school, and that makes it so much better!  He will be going to school with his cousin, Clara.  In fact, they will be in 5 out of 7 classes together.  I think he will be really happy there.

Quick update - he did great!  He loved his new school!  He had fun, made a lot of new friends and loved his teachers!  That makes me happy!


Wednesday - We took our sweet, Averi for the day!  Her mom and dad decided that they would go on a day trip, for their wedding anniversary and for Amber's birthday - they are only two days apart.  I'm so grateful that we only live within a few miles of Amber and James so that we can take Averi when they need us to.  She is a very special granddaughter, and she makes us so happy!   And can you believe I didn't take one picture?! 

Tanner also started school on Wednesday.  He will be going to a new school that has been being built for the last few years, and it's right around the corner from them.  He was pretty excited, and came home loving everything about it!  This is Nathan and Tanner on Tanner's first day.  Tanner is in the green shirt.  I'm grateful for good teachers and staff.  


Thursday - We are going out to dinner with some friends, and then back to their house to play cards, visit, catch up and just let out hair down.  They are such close friends and we just enjoy every single moment we spend with them.  They used to live right around the corner, but moved about 12 miles away.  Still close enough to see them any time we want to.  I am so happy and grateful for dear friends like, Tammy and Alan.  

Friday I wasn't really feeling very well.  It was one of those dark days for me.  I stayed down mostly, except for doing a few batches of laundry that needed done.  A highlight of my day was when my daughter called and said she had gotten a super good deal on tomatoes.  A big box of beautiful tomatoes was only 27.00.  That's a bargain in my neck of the woods.  She asked me if I would like her to pick up a box for me.  Of course I said yes!


I am so grateful that she thought of me!  My tomatoes didn't do great this year because it was such a cold spring.  I have some beautiful tomatoes in the garden, but not enough to make everything we like to make.  Now, thanks to Jessica, I can make our favorite chili sauce, and still have some left over to do something else with.

Saturday was a better day for me.  I got up and cleaned and organized my closet.  I got a big box of items to take to the thrift store.  Then I cleaned and organized the office.  It took me most of the day.  

The weather was really nice . . .  As in cooler!  I think the high was only in the upper 70's.  I always get a surge of ambition to organize and clean when the weather starts getting cooler and I know that fall is on the way.  I'm looking forward to fall!  

  Autumn is my favorite time of year 🍂


Sunday - We went to church this morning, then came home, refreshed spiritually and full of peace,  ready to start another week.  I made lunch using this recipe, it was so good, and super easy to put together.  I didn't have any fresh basil, but the dried was really good in it.   

The photo is curtesy of the website I got the recipe from 

I'm going to spend the rest of the day reading, resting, making a to-do list, and enjoying the cool weather.  I will attempt a menu, but who knows whether I will follow it . . .  that's always my problem.

I have really enjoyed the last couple of weeks, posting these happy/grateful posts.  It's made me realize the I do have things to post about!  I will continue to do a few posts a week - shorter posts ;0)  I've also realized that I have so much to be grateful for!  That my  life is a happy one (most days), and that I am the one responsible for my own happiness. 

I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon!


Be safe . . . Hugs and Love,

Barb








9 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb! It was fun to read your post. I am so glad you joined in on the Happiness Challenge. August has been a very busy month, and I have missed some blog posts. I have also had some up and down days this month, but looking for the good and being grateful always helps! I don't know how I missed that your oldest daughter's name is Amber! Mine too! My Amber turned 43 on her last birthday in May. I admit that I didn't count all of the candles on your daughter's cake. So glad that back to school is going well for your grands. Those tomatoes look delicious! I had hoped for lots of tomatoes from my garden this year, and I even had some that were ripening, but they disappeared. I think I must have a rodent or some other animal out in my garden that is eating my garden! Frustrating. Oh well, such is life, I guess. I hope that you have a great week. It is always good to hear from you in blogland! Have a good week!

Lori said...

Hi Barb! I've had my share of down days the last few months too but yes, I'm still always grateful for all of the blessings in my life like you said. Happy belated Birthday to your daughter! When I turned 50 my brother had exactly 50 candles on the cake. When I told one of the doctors I work with he said well that's basically a pulmonary function test. lol The pasta recipe you shared looks amazing. I will have to try that one. I hope you have a wonderful week ahead. xoxo

Latane Barton said...

Hi Barb, looks like it's school time in your neck of the woods. That means it can't be long til Fall. Yippee. I have to comment on that box of tomatoes. Gee, I wish I had one. I ran out from those I purchased and now I need a tomato sandwich, big time.

Shug said...

Barb....your Amber is a beautiful young lady...Happy Birthday to her and I loved how her husband spent time organizing all the candles. You have such a lovely family and it is obvious, (same with me) how much you love them. When your grandkids make changes such as going to a new school, I think it stresses us as their grandparents, more than it does them. Good friends are great to have and it sure sounds like you all have some good ones. I am with you...I love Fall and it can not come fast enough this year. Beautiful post of a Beautiful family.

Lorrie said...

Hello Barb,
Looking for the good things in life and being thankful to God is such a great habit to develop. There is always something to give thanks for.
I love autumn, but I'm not ready for summer to be over yet. Soon enough.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Great-Granny Grandma said...

You are a busy bee--even when you are not feeling so good. Hope by now you are feeling well again.
Amber is a beautiful girl with a very lovely smile. Her birthday cake looked fun with all those candles on it.

Jennifer said...

What a nice recap of a wonderful week. What a blessing to have a life full of family and friends! So glad the grands had a great start to the new school year. Here's to a really good year! And your birthday daughter is so pretty! Hope she had a great day! Take care and I hope this week is filled to brim with joy as well!

A few of my favorite movies . . . And other things

This is such a weird topic for me, because I don't usually write about movies.  I don't really watch very many movies.  But, last ni...