Sunday, January 7, 2024

Welcome January . . .

 


Hello!  Well, it's been over a month since I last posted on this blog!  2023 was a wild year with lots of twists and turns . . .  Hopefully, 2024 will be a little less crazy, and just maybe I will be posting more, fingers crossed!

Outside My Window-  It's cold, windy and snowy outside today, and it's only 28 degrees out.  We don't have much snow... although, it did snow about 3 inches last night and it's still snowing.  I'm hoping that January and February are snowy.  I don't love driving on slick roads, but we need some snow to fill the reservoirs.


Bob, plowing snow off of the driveway this afternoon.  He's currently plowing the driveway of a neighbor who has some problems getting outside.  Bob loves to serve others and is very good at it.  😀


A little, lit pine tree on my front porch, frosted with snow from last night.

On My Playlist - James Taylor will always be on the top of my list . . .  Enjoy!

What I'm Thinking - Well, mostly how much I have neglected this little blog, my spot in blogland.  I am reminded daily that I need to be better at posting.  I'm also thinking that I really do have a lot to post about, I just need to make the time to do it.  I love reading others posts, they make me smile, and truly touch my heart.  I love to read about the things you do in your part of the woods; your up and downs, your recipes, your thoughts on life, whether good or bad.  I love to see all the photos that you post - they make me so happy!!  I'm thinking I really need to do better at blogging :0)

What I'm Thankful for - I'm thankful for so much!  We had a wonderful Christmas season just filled with family and love.  On the 23rd, we had our family Christmas party.  I only took a few photos . . . That needs to change.  I did take this photo of a beautiful Yule Log cake that my granddaughter in law made.  Lisa is from France, and I love that she shares her traditions with us!  The photo doesn't do it justice, it was just beautiful and delicious!

In December, I took my daughters and granddaughters to see, White Christmas at a local community theater.  It was fabulous!  I'm thankful that I live close to all of my girls!

After Christmas, I decided to have Clara, my cute granddaughter come and stay a few days with us.  She is darling, funny, creative and just such a ray of sunshine in our lives.  She wanted to have me teach her how to make bread, so on went the apron and she was ready!

She also beat us at Wii Bowling, she was so good at it!!  I almost cried when we brought her home, we had such a fun time!  I'm thankful that she still loves to spend time with Bob and I.

I'm also thankful for flowers in wintertime.  Before Christmas my daughter and I bought an Amaryllis, mine was called, Apple Blossom.  It was so beautiful and brought a little bit of springtime into this cold winter.

W

I'm Wearing - It's cold here in Idaho, and I'm cold all the time!  I have on jeans, socks, slippers and two shirts.  Staying warm is an issue for me apparently ;0)

What I'm Creating - I bought myself a cross stitch before Christmas, and it's been fun to work on.  I haven't done cross stitch for over 20 years, so there is definitely a learning curve!  It's going to take a bit of time to finish, but I think it will be pretty once it is framed and hanging on my wall.



It's color coded, and as you can see, it's going to take a while to finish.  .  

In the Kitchen - I'm trying to use up all the food that has been in my freezer for a while.  So, a few nights ago I made a delicious stir-fry with some stir-fry veggies that I had in the freezer and a couple of frozen chicken thighs that also needed to be used.  It was really tasty over rice.  There 

I have decided that I'm not going to buy bread anymore.  I love to make bread and it costs me less than a dollar to make a delicious loaf of bread - and I know what the ingredients are.  So, my kitchen is a busy place lately.  I've shared this recipe before, but it really is a good, basic bread recipe.

Bernadine's Bread

2 1/2 cup warm water

3 Tbls. sugar or honey

1 Tbls. salt

2 1/4 tsp. yeast or 1 packet

2 Tbls. olive oil or oil of your choice

5-7 cups of all purpose flour - approximately

Combine warm water, oil, sugar and yeast in a large mixing bowl, stir together and let sit a few minutes until it starts to get frothy. Add the salt along with half of the flour, and mix well.  Start mixing in the rest of the flour until a soft dough forms that doesn't stick to the side of the bowl.  It should be a little sticky, but not enough to leave dough on your hands when you handle it.  Continue to mix by hand 10 minutes or with a mixer for about 6 minutes.  

Put the dough in an oiled bowl and let it sit in a warm place until doubled in size.  Gently punch down and form it into 2 loaf pans. When they have risen just above the pans edge, bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes then turn the oven down to 350 degrees and cook until done, maybe another 10-15 minutes depending on your oven.  This is my go-to recipe for bread and it's a good one.

My Favorite Things - Of course, one of my favorite things, and something I love to share, are the beautiful sunsets we have here in Idaho.  Here are a couple photos from that last few weeks that were so pretty! 



One of my favorite things is to spend time with my dear husband and my family.  Last night, we went to see, The Boys in the Boat, and it was soooo good!  I love seeing a movie that is based on a true story.  It was so good, and I would highly recommend it!  


Final Thoughts


Be safe.  

Hugs and Love,

Barb



6 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb! It is so good to hear from you. So glad you had a nice holiday season with your family. Thanks for that bread recipe. I will have to try it! Sounds so delicious. It is snowy here today too. We had about five inches here today and more is expected this week Tuesday through next Sunday. Winter has arrived. It's always good to see what you are up to. You are so creative and talented. See you again soon!

Lori said...

Hi Barb! I'm so happy to hear that you had a lovely Holiday season! We've had about two inches of snow so far this year and a LOT of rain which we really need in this area. I'm still hoping for at least one really good snow but that may not happen. Your bread recipe sounds delicious and how awesome that your granddaughter came to stay and wanted to make bread. She'll have that wonderful memory forever. Enjoy your week and stay warm!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

The amaryllis is beautiful, and so are the pictures of the sunsets.
I did not see the Boys in the Boat movie, but did read the book. It was very inspiring.
Thanks for sharing the bread recipe. It looks simple enough for me to try and I have all the ingredients on hand. Will let you know how it turns out.

Anonymous said...

The bread recipe looks great! I’m not seeing when to add the oil—or is that just to grease the bowl with? Thanks!
—Melanie

Shug said...

Hi Barb. I always love visiting your blog.
always puts a smile on my face....from the weather, to the recipes, to the encouragement you always give, and of course, learning about your family. 2024 is going to be a good one...I'm believing! Stay warm!

Lorrie said...

Hi Barb,
What beautiful sunsets you've had on these cold days. Baking bread is what I usually do, too - it tastes so much better than storebought.
You had a great time with family over the past month. Lisa's Buche de Noel is gorgeous and I'm sure it tasted delicious.
Have a good day.

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...