Sunday, January 14, 2024

Simple Sunday Daybook . . .

 


Hello!  Well, here I am again for another week... I'm still working on posting, I will work on commenting as well.  I'm just trying to find my groove again ;0)

Outside my window -  This morning when I got up it was 7 degrees, right now it's 16 degrees.  We are supposed to be getting about an inch of snow this afternoon. The high today will only be 19 degrees, so we are in for a cold, snowy week ahead.  



On My Playlist -  Bob and I will be married 50 years in April, I can hardly believe it.  I love this vintage playlist, and I love him... Enjoy.  I'm also enjoying love songs since February is just around the corner, the month for love!


Right Now I Am - Well, blogging.  We stayed home from church this morning because it was just soooo cold and the roads were horrible.  I don't do well in cold temps.  I'm making chicken tortilla soup, cornbread and peach cobbler for dinner, and it smells so delicious bubbling away on the stove.

I'm Wearing - I have on warm leggings, a  long sweater to keep my tushy warm and thick slippers.  I'm staying warm and cozy.  Later tonight, I will be cuddled up in a fuzzy blanket.

What Am I Reading


On a quiet street in Dublin, a lost bookshop is waiting to be found


For too long, Opaline, Martha and Henry have been the side characters in their own lives.

But when a vanishing bookshop casts its spell, these three unsuspecting strangers will discover that their own stories are every bit as extraordinary as the ones found in the pages of their beloved books. And by unlocking the secrets of the shelves, they find themselves transported to a world of wonder… where nothing is as it seems.

This is a fun read, and an easy read - perfect for cold winter days.

From My Kitchen -  I'm really trying to be intentional about my cooking.  It seems like I waste a lot of food because I make too much, and I don't love leftovers.  I have things in my freezer and pantry that need to be used up.  I like putting a big bowl with the frozen meat we will be using for the week.  That way I already have it thawed and ready to go, it's such a time saver for me and makes me plan a menu, and that's big for me.  If I use a recipe, I half it or even make just make a third of it.  I have found some fabulous, small batch cooking ideas on Pinterest.

In my last post, someone asked about the oil in the bread recipe and when to put it in. It goes in with the water and other ingredients.  

This is my menu for the week

Saturday - Pork loin chops with sauteed onions and mushrooms, green salad  
Sunday - Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup with cornbread and peach cobbler for dessert
Monday - Leftovers from Sunday
Tuesday - Halibut, herbed wild rice, green beans
Wednesday - Hamburgers, green salad, chips
Thursday - Homemade pizza
Friday - Baked chicken thighs, baked sweet potatoes and rolls
Saturday - Tacos or nachos


CROCKPOT CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP

  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • ¼ cup taco seasoning, or one taco seasoning packet
  • 4 ounces can diced green chiles, mild or hot
  • 15.5 ounces can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, juices included
  • 15.25 ounce can whole kernel corn, drained
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 2 cups grated Mexican cheese
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • tortilla chips, or 6 corn tortillas, cut into strips either air fried or oven baked to crisp them up
  • Cilantro, one bunch for garnish

Instructions

  • Place the frozen OR thawed chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker.
  • Sprinkle the taco seasoning over the top of the chicken breasts.
  • Spread green chiles, black beans, tomatoes, and corn over the chicken.
  • Slowly pour in the chicken broth.
  • Cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
  • Remove chicken breasts from the soup and shred with two forks.
  • Return the chicken to the soup and add the cheese and heavy cream.
  • Cook for an additional 30-minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally until the cheese is fully melted and combined and the soup is thickened slightly.
  • You can add the tortilla chips directly to the soup along with the cheese and cream and cook for the final 30 to 60 minutes or crisp the corn tortillas in the air fryer or oven. To crisp the tortilla chips in the air fryer, spray liberally with non-stick cooking spray and bake at 400°F for approximately 5 minutes, shaking the basket halfway through cooking.
  • Serve soup with additional chopped cilantro, tortilla strips/chips, and avocado, if desired.
Instead of frying my tortillas, I just used tortilla chips that I had on hand, it turned out perfect.  I also used some pork verde that I had put up in the frozen a few months ago, and so I just made it in a dutch oven, it was delicious!  You can find the original, Pinterest recipe here.

Thinking and Pondering - My daughter and her husband left today to go on a cruise to Mexico with their kids.  I'm just praying that the roads will be clear and that they arrive safely at the airport this afternoon.  They are so excited!

How I am Feeling - It has been one year since I had to have surgery to remove most of my stomach.  I have lost over 100 pounds and really need to figure out how to stay where I am right now.  I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would have to worry about NOT losing weight.  I go to the Gastroenterologist on Tuesday and hopefully we can address this problem.  I also have lots of baggy skin that needs to be addressed.  It's a little scary for me, and something I never thought I would have to worry about.    

I'm Creating -  On Thursday, I had to go to JoAnn's to get some more embroidery floss for my cross stitch, and all of their flowers were 40% off.  I bought a few white flowers to put on the dining room table.  I thought they looked kind of pretty with the vintage pitchers.


From my Camera - Ahhhh, my sweet Emily.  She was only 11 when I took this photo.  She is now 18, will graduate high school this year and then off to college in the fall!  She is such a beautiful, funny, charming, sassy girl... I just adore this sweet granddaughter! 


Because I've had a few emails about Brody, my grandson who is currently serving a mission in Croatia, I thought I would just do a quick update!  Brody loves serving in Croatia, loves the people, and most importantly, loves the Lord and loves spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ.  He's currently in, Rijeka.  As you can see, it's so beautiful there, it's a very large city but he is happy, thriving and has been out for almost a year.  I was able to talk to him on Christmas Day, via FB, and it made this old grandma's heart so happy to see his face and hear his voice!  We miss him, but know that he is in the Lord's hands, serving and loving the people there.  


Just Sayin' - 



Have a very blessed Sunday... Be safe.  

Hugs and Love,

Barb



'



9 comments:

Shug said...

Hi Barb....great post filled with all kinds of good things. Starting with the SOUP.. Yum. it is actually in the 20's here in Texas. 70 degrees last week and now COLD. Blessings to your grandson who is out doing work for the Lord. I know you are so proud of him....and proud of your granddaughter..they all grow up so fast. Guess I didn't realize how much of your stomach they had to remove. Hope the doctor can help you to be able to control weight loss. prayers for you sweet friend. Stay warm and enjoy your wee...Your menu looks awesome! this is what I need to do...PLAN

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb! So glad that your grandson is doing well and loving the work in Croatia. I had been wondering how he was doing. Your soup looks so delicious! I also struggle with making too much food, then not using up leftovers. We actually had leftovers for Sunday dinner today just to get things out of the fridge. I may make some slow cooker potato soup tomorrow. Soup is so good when it's cold outside. Your weather is about the same as ours, except you are probably colder. We didn't go to church today either but watched Stake Conference on Zoom. I hope you and your doctor and figure out your weight-loss dilemma. I love your weekly menu plan and you gave me a few ideas for the week. The book you are reading also sounds excellent! I may have to look for that one! I am always glad to hear what is going on with you up in Idaho! See you again soon!

Lori said...

Hi Barb. I'm glad you're back to blogging more. I love to hear what is going on in your world. The Lost Bookshop is on my list to read. I need to make more time for reading since that list is growing daily. lol The flowers you put on your table are so pretty. I'm sorry about your GI issues and hope you can get the answers you need about your diet. Will they maybe set you up with a nutritionist who specializes in this? I'm so glad Brody is doing well and loves what he is doing. So happy for you that you were able to talk to him on Christmas day. I hope you have a great week and stay warm. It's freezing here but little snow. Take care!!

Buttercup said...

Jumping over from Deborah's blog. Your meal schedule is inspiring, especially the soup. It's finally getting cold in New York City and I think making a pot of soup is on my agenda for later today. Take care and keep cozy!

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Marie Rayner said...

Oh Barb, where do I start. I have thoroughly enjoyed and digested your daybook. Its just lovely. I love LOVE the music that accompanies it. So lovely. Congrats on your 50th! If my first husband and I had stayed married, we would be celebrating our 50th this year also. Hard to believe that so much time has passed. Your grandchildren are just lovely. How wonderful that your grandson is enjoying his mission in Croatia. My ex husband was there in the early 1990's peacekeeping and the country was quite war torn at that point. I wish I had to worry about NOT losing weight. I recently got myself a Fitbit and it is helping me to keep track of my exercise, etc. I really need to and can do better! I am sending you lots of love and hugs! Oh, Your menus sound just great. Even better that you have somebody to share them with! xoxo

Annie said...

Not easy going on a mission. He will be in my prayers. Isn't it wonderful to have great children and grands to fill your heart with joy. Your grand daughter is pretty as a picture. They just grow up too fast!
Thanks for the recipe and the lovely music.

Billie Jo said...

Hello, my lovely friend! I am so happy to be visiting with you here. Thank you for the recipe and for the meal ideas. I will be over on Friday, so please set an extra spot, ok? ; ) I am happy to hear your grandson is happy and healthy and enjoying his mission. Love and hugs. Stay warm!

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...