Friday, December 1, 2023

December Daybook . . .

 

Outside my window . . . It snowed last night!  We had a little skiff of snow from a week ago, but last night it snowed about an inch or so.  It was really pretty when I woke up this morning - and it's still snowing!  




On my playlist . . . I like to listen to vintage Christmas music, it just reminds me of when I was a young girl...or not so young ;0)  It's just what I prefer.  Enjoy this one!


One of my favorite things . . .  I put my tree up early this year.  Most years I wait until about 2 weeks before Christmas to put the tree up, but this year,  I felt like I needed a little more "Christmas" in my life.  I didn't put up all of my decorations, I felt like less is more this year, but I did put up some of my favorite things.


Pinecones from my trees and crocheted stars that I made years ago.

 
One of my daughters gave me this cute tree last year for my birthday, and it fits perfectly on this little dresser in my dinning room.


My dad made me this candle centerpiece more than 40 years ago... I treasure it. 

Something I'm thankful for . . . I love soup, and I'm so thankful that we had leftover turkey, so I could make delicious turkey soup with homemade noodles for dinner!


 I'm creating . . .  I've been making slippers for my daughters and granddaughters.  My feet are always cold, so I wear them all day on most days.  These slippers are super easy to make and a good way to use up yarn.  Crocheting also keeps me busy in the evening.



In the Kitchen . . . This coming Monday I have a DUP (Daughters of Utah Pioneers) luncheon that I am bringing soup and cookies to.  We are having a cookie exchange, so I think I will make Maple Snickerdoodles... yum!  These cookies are super easy to make and delicious!

Maple Snickerdoodles
  • 3/4 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp cream of tartar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  1. Cream butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together, until light and fluffy.
  2. Add in maple syrup, vanilla extract, and egg; beat until well combined.
  3. Sift dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, and slowly incorporate into the wet ingredients.
  4. Chill dough for at least 1 hour.
  5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  6. Mix cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl.
  7. Roll dough into about 1 1/2" balls, and the roll in cinnamon sugar. Place 2" apart on the baking sheet, and bake for 8-10 minutes, or until tops have cracked and the cookies are set.

Just sayin' . . . 


Don't forget this . . . 


Stay safe.  See you soon!

Hugs and Love,

Barb




6 comments:

Shug said...

Oh how I would love to see snow. It is a rare thing around here. Your tree is so pretty. Is this a live tree? The live trees are my favorite but Texas is not a place to have them for sure. Homemade noodles? You are a lady with many talents. crocheting, cooking, baking....Yay! I certainly enjoyed the Christmas music. I think this type of Christmas music is relaxing...Happy December Barb

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb! It's always great to see what is going on with you. Thanks for the Snickerdoodle recipe. I love those kind of cookies. I love the slippers. They look so cozy and warm. I also love that picture of Christ in your home and your Christmas decorations. Everything looks great, including the turkey soup. We got some snow here too and more is expected this weekend. I hope you have a great weekend. See you again soon!

Latane Barton said...

Aw, I used to make my children some snickerdoodles ever so often. Haven't made them in years. Thanks for reminding me but since my children are now 'old folks' I believe they can make their own. haha. You have a good one. Latane

Billie Jo said...

Hello, my friend! I love your Christmas Blog look. We had turkey soup, too. It is a favorite here. I hope you have a beautiful, cozy Christmas season!

Jennifer said...

Oh, those cookies look/sound yummy! I think I might try them myself next week. I have always wanted to host, or even go to, a cookie exchange - but it never seems to happen. Such fun though! So nice to have the trees and other special decorations out....everything looks so festive! Happy December my friend:) (and thank you for such a sweet comment on my blog!!)

Billie Jo said...

Merry and Blessed Christmas, Barb. Happy New Year, too!

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...