Tuesday, October 10, 2023

My Daybook . . .


Outside my window . . .  It's starting to look like fall.  The days are getting shorter and cooler.  The leaves are starting to change, and the air even smells different.  Potato harvest has come to an end, and so has the garden.  We picked the last of the tomatoes on Monday and they are sitting in a box in the garage to ripen.  The carrots are still in the garden waiting for the first big frost, to make them sweet.  We still have a lot of work to do outside, but all in good time.

On my playlist . . .  Just beautiful music . . . 



What I'm thinking . . .  On Monday, my grandson, who is serving a mission in Croatia, was able to call us!  We were so excited to talk to him and see his face.  We haven't talked to him since July, and we miss him so much.  Talking to him and seeing him reassured us that he is doing wonderful, loving the people of Croatia and doing amazing work there.  He is currently serving in Podgorica, but he is thinking that he will soon be transferred to Belgrade.    

What I'm thankful for . . . I am so thankful for wonderful friends and neighbors.  Yesterday, a dear friend brought me the most wonderful bouquet of flowers from her garden . . . Dahlias!  The purple and white Dahlias are bigger than my hand!  They are so gorgeous, I need to learn her secrets ;0)





Something I love . . . I love baking and working in my kitchen.  Today I made these two beautiful loves of sourdough bread.  It's my daughters recipe and it turns out perfect every time I make it.


Sourdough Sandwich Bread

3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (I usually use all white)
3/4 cup warm water, twice
2 tsp yeast
1 tsp. sugar or honey
1/2 cup sourdough discard
2 TBS honey
2 TBS softened butter
1 1/2 tsp salt
(melted butter and honey for brushing on top)

Combine 3/4 cups warm water, sugar, and yeast together.  Let  yeast sit and bubble/foam up, about 5 min.  On low speed add flour and salt.  slowly add second 3/4 cup water, honey and sourdough discard to mixing bowl.  Incorporate softened butter.  Mix on low speed and let knead for 5-10 min.  Put in a greased bowl and let rise until doubled in size.  Put into two loaf pans and let rise until just over the top.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  

Today, I bought a rotisserie chicken.  I took all of the meat off and turned the bones into a delicious bone broth in my Instant Pot.  I will strain it and tomorrow I'll make chicken soup for a friend who is coming home from the hospital.  The bone broth will make it extra nutritious.  


 I'm creating . . .  I thought it would be fun to make myself a new sweater.  I love to crochet and I thought it would be a nice way to pass the time as the days get shorter.  I'm done with the front and back, and almost done with the sleeves.  I'll hopefully be able to finish it this week.


A thought to leave you with . . .  

"How beautifully leaves grow old.  How full of light and color are their last days!"
~John Burroughs~


Have a wonderful week!  Be safe.  See you soon! 

Hugs and Love,

Barb



6 comments:

Lori said...

I am so glad you were able to connect with your grandson and see and hear that is doing well. It must be so hard to have him so far away.
I love this time of year. The longer nights, cooler weather put me in my happy place.
Your bread looks delicious!! I love making bone broth. After one bowl, I just feel healthier.
Have a great week.

Shug said...

Good morning Barb. Such a wonderful Blessing to be able to talk to your grandson and to hear all of the good things going on in his life and his work. Thankful you all were able to do so. I sure wish I were there to help you usher in Fall. Still warm here in Texas and very little change on the leaves. This bread is so yummy looking. going to have to give this recipe a try for sure. Love the beautiful flowers from your friend. so sweet! And gurl....I am so impressed with your talents. The sweater is going to be so pretty...love the color. Hope you have a great rest of the week. Always enjoy visiting with you.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb. That is so great that you were able to talk to your grandson! Glad to hear that he is doing well. Those flowers from your neighbor are lovely. Thanks for the bread recipe. Sounds delicious. The soup sounds good too. I love the sweater. You will really enjoy it. You are so talented to be able to crochet so well. It's always fun to hear about what is going on with you. Glad you are having a good fall. See you again soon!

Billie Jo said...

Hello, Barb! So lovely to visit with you today! Your post is so cozy! It was as if I were visiting in your lovely home. I am glad you were able to talk to your grandson! And I can imagine how happy he was to hear your voice! Thank you for the bread recipe. I want to start making our bread, but I am afraid! LOL. Have a cozy evening, my dear friend!

Jennifer said...

You are talented! I love to make my own bread...and have it turn out perfect every time:) And to make myself a sweater - what fun that would be! How nice to have friends who bring you flowers from their garden!!:) Have a great day!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

You've shared so many lovely things. The flowers are AMAZING and I enjoyed the music too. I think we are all loving that it's fall!! Yay!!

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...