Sunday, September 3, 2023

My Late Summer Daybook . . .

 Hello Friends!  My goodness, it's been a long time since I have made a post on my blog.  But here I am, ready for fall, and enjoying some cooler weather.  




Outside my window . . .   It's raining right now, and we're supposed to have flooding and high winds.  I'm hoping and praying that the storm stays East in the hills.  But, the rain is so good for my flower beds, and they have been so beautiful this year.  It's only in the mid 70's today, so I am loving that.  

On my playlist . . .  I love this song, Don't Let the Old Man In.  Sometimes I feel like the old woman is creeping in, but I'm going to try to appreciate growing older while keeping that old woman out.  I especially love the line that says, " . . . how old would you be if you didn't know the day you were born.".  Think about that.


What I'm thinking . . .  It seems like there has been a lot going on, I guess I can blame my absence on that.  So, I'm thinking that life needs to slow down a bit.  My grandson is getting married on the 9th of September.  He's marrying a beautiful young woman from France, and so it will be a small wedding because her family can't be here. Although, she does have a sister coming from Ireland, who Lisa is so excited to see!


I also had a nephew who passed away last month, and so I am thinking about my sister and her family.  I can't imagine losing a child . . . she has lost two.  Shawns memorial service was last week-end and it was so wonderful to see so many people there to remember him.  He was very loved, and will be very missed.  What a privilege it was for me to draw these two pictures for my sister, they are of her two sons who have passed.  Shawn is on the right, Tom is on the left.


In August, Bob went to Alaska to fish for Halibut.  He had a great time and brought home some delicious fish!  Below, is one days catch!


My best friend also moved this week.  She only moved across town, but it feels like she moved across the country.  I'll still see her, but knowing that she is further away will be an adjustment.  ;0)  Can you tell I don't do well with change ?

I'm thankful for . . .  I just can't tell you how grateful I am for family, especially my girls.  Earlier this summer, while Bob was in Alaska, we went to Salt Lake for a girls day . . .  so much fun!  I was only an overnight, quick trip, but we made some happy and fun memories.



From the learning room . . .  I've rediscovered my love for art.  I certainly have a lot to learn, and I'm willing to learn, but it will take time.  It's always been a passion on mine, but now I'm going to dig in and really learn all I can.  I'm currently working on a picture of my SIL's mother, who passed away earlier this year . . . I still have a long way to go with this one.  


Earlier this summer, I worked on these . . . 




I've always enjoyed drawing, Native American Indians.  I love all the character, texture  and substance in their faces.   

From the kitchen . . .  Tomorrow for, Labor Day, we are having Sloppy Joe's, salads, chips and peach shortcake.  It should be a fun day and a good ending to a long summer of fun and memory making.  


Fresh Peach Compote

3 fresh peaches, skinned, pitted and diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10 to 14 minutes, being sure to stir occasionally.  Sauce will gradually thicken and become syrup like.  Remove from heat and allow to briefly cool.  Serve over fresh pancakes, muffins, slices of pound cake or shortbread, or however you like!  Enjoy!

One of my favorite things . . .  Camping with my family . . . 






And of course,  sunsets . . . 






A thought to leave you with . . . 

 “Since we cannot change reality, let us change the eyes which see reality.” 
-Nikos Kazantzakis

Have a very blessed week . . .  be safe.

Hugs and Love,
Barb



6 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb! It was really good to hear from you. So sorry to hear of your grandson's passing. Losing loved ones is hard. You are a beautiful artist. Wow, I am so impressed with your portraits. I am glad that you have been able to make some good memories this summer. It's good that you are back in blogland! See you again soon!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Wow, Barb, you are a very talented artist. Those portraits are great.
A lot of very beautiful pictures too.
Glad to see you back.

Donna said...

Your drawings are gorgeous!
I loved, Don't Let the Old Man In...it's so true.
hugs
Donna

Annie said...

Beautiful portraits! What great talent. I envy your trip to Salt Lake. It's been a long time since I was there and a big part of my family live in the valley and I do mean big! .I miss it so much from time to time.

Jennifer said...

Well, I am obviously slow in checking and catching your latest post...but so glad that I did today. So nice to "hear" from you. Life has been busy for you. So sorry to hear about losses but isn't God good to give the sweet as well. Life is so like that. Congratulations to the beautiful couple. Your art is amazing. I so wish I could create pictures..of any kind. And how special that you were able to draw those pictures of you nephews. Precious! I hope that your week now if off to a good start. Hope you will find to blog every now and then. I always enjoy your posts - as well as your beautiful photography!!

Marie Rayner said...

How did I not know you were an artist! Wow you are so talented Barb! I loved seeing your work. Love all that you share. Your photographs, your words, your thoughts and I love Toby Keith also. Blessings, love and hugs, xoxo

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...