Saturday, August 27, 2022

My Daybook . . .

On my playlist  . . .  It is time to harvest the grain and the potatoes here in my neck of the woods.   I love this time of year when everything starts to change, and we can sit back and enjoy the fruits of our labor.  You can feel the change in the air, it even smells different!  I have always loved this song, written and sung by Neil Young, "Harvest Moon".  This image of the harvest moon reminds me of changing seasons, and the passing of time.  Neil Young, makes you remember this image throughout the song, even using the moon as a metaphor for getting older:  "But now it's gettin' late, and the moon is climbin' high."   I've always loved this song...enjoy.  


Looking out my window . . .  It's a windy, hazy day because of all the grain being harvested around us, and there could possibly be a fire burning somewhere as well.  Yesterday we had a lot of thunder and lightning in the mountains near us, and as dry as it has been here, we always worry about wild fires.  



I'm thinking . . . I'm thinking how pathetic my garden is this year!  Last week we had a bad wind storm and it really did a number on my tomatoes.  This is a photo of one of the plants that Bob had to cut back because the vines were just in tatters, it was so sad.  They still have tomatoes, but they were pretty battered as well.  


Thankfully, my grapes were netted to keep out the birds, so they were just fine.  I'm looking forward to the first really cold night - the grapes are always better after the sugars are set by the first frost.


Each day we go out and pick a few things from the garden, just a handful or two.  Even though it's not much, it is just right for Bob and I.  My daughter gave me the big cucumbers to make refrigerator pickles, mine are the small ones in the bowl ;0)  Both of my daughters have beautiful gardens and so I reap the benefits of their hard work as well. We have enjoyed our tomatoes...I love tomato sandwiches!


I'm thankful for . . . I'm thankful for grandchildren who know the value and reward of hard work.  Three of my grandsons picked corn and sold it for one of their neighbors who grows corn every year to sell.  He told them that this year, he would split the money with them if they sold and delivered the corn.  They jumped on it and made over $100.00 picking and selling corn!  The corn was just beautiful, out of the 4 doz. we bought, at 3.00 a dozen (what a bargain!)  there wasn't a bad ear in the bunch.  We ate what we wanted and froze the rest.  It will be delicious this winter.  


One of my favorite things . . . One of my daughter's has a huge soccer field behind her house and a few nights ago, while we were visiting her,  I took a few pictures of the sunset...it was beautiful!!  A rain storm had just had passed through and left behind this amazing view.  I think you all know that sunsets are one of my favorite things.







In the kitchen . . .  It's been too hot to bake, or even think about cooking, so tonight we are having, beets, beet greens, tomatoes, green beans and left over steak.  I wish I had a wonderful recipe for you to try but...I've got nothing

Monday - Bob has a chiropractor appointment.  Cleaning, it's always on my list.
Tuesday - Bob has a physical therapy appointment.  The Dr. found an old fracture on his shoulder blade that is now giving him problems, so more therapy to help with pain and help loosen up his shoulder.  
Wednesday - Another cleaning day at home, yard work and laundry. 
Thursday - Menu planning day...the hardest thing in the world!  Does anyone else find this a difficult task?  I put it off all the time!
Friday - Freeze zucchini, take care of things from the garden, maybe get some baking done.
                       
Just sayin'  . . . I love this quote, I'm looking so forward to fall!


Be safe, see you soon!

Hugs and Love,

Barb


9 comments:

Homemaker'sThoughts.blogspot.com said...

I always love your daybook thoughts, Barb, and, as always, your photos. It all looks wonderful. Have a wonderful Sunday! A hug to you, Mary

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb. I stepped away from my computer, and the comment I was typing disappeared. Not sure what happened but this comment may be a duplicate. I love those sunset pictures. You have such beautiful sunsets in Idaho! I love it! Your garden looks so great. We have grapes as well, but not as many as last year. We have eaten some and they are quite delicious. I didn't know that it's better to harvest them after a cool night. I will keep that in mind. Your garden looks great. We are heading to Idaho soon to see our son and I am hoping to find some produce stands so I can bring some Idaho goodness home! That corn looks delicious! Have a great Sunday. I will see you again soon!

Lorrie said...

Your sunset photos are gorgeous, Barb. This is a busy time in the garden. What delicious corn cobs - I love it so much. Have a great week! Hope Thursday isn't too stressful with menu planning!

annie said...

wonderful photos. I like the trough for the tomatoes! My fav autumn song is Carolina in the Pines by Michael Martin Murphy. I spent a good deal of my life in Utah and I have tons of family there all saying their gardens are pretty pathetic this year as well. Now I am wanting corn on the cob!

Jennifer said...

Such beautiful photos! You live in such a pretty area....and hooray for daughters who share their garden bounty!:) And industrious grandsons...high five to them!! Visiting from Laura Lane's blog!

Kerin said...

What a wonderful and beautiful late summer you are having!
That is awesome that your Grands were able to work and earn money selling corn! They are real 'go-getter's"!!
Beautiful skies!!
Good luck to Bob with his health appointments, and good luck to you with your freezing and 'putting by'.
I don't mind menu planning, as I generally use what I have on hand, and fill in the gaps. With just us two to cook for, and my hubby being a non eater of leftovers (most of the time, anyway) I generally don't get too fancy with my menus...*smile**.

Have a great rest of your week!
~K.

Billie Jo said...

Hello, my friend. Such beautiful summer photos! And of course, I am loving your autumn quote. You know I am ready! Menu planning is something I do weekly. I do need to try to plan better though. I should try to plan around what I have, rather than pick meals and get the food for them. Anyway, have a cozy evening and a great week!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Beautiful sunset photos, and that corn looks so good, and I love the quote about autumn being a second spring. So true, and I'd never thought of that.

Cindy said...

Stunning sunset photos! Especially the one of the field. Your harvest looks delicious!

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...