Sunday, January 10, 2021

Feeling Homesick . . .


Today, January 10, 2021, is the 40th anniversary of my grandfathers death.  He was born September 2, 1897.  This year he would have been 124.   I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when my husband called me with the sad news of his death.  I was at my sister-in-laws baby shower, fixing the refreshments, apple cake and ice cream.  I didn't want to make a fuss, so I excused myself, went into the bathroom, had a good cry and then came back out and finished getting the refreshments ready.  I can remember it like it was  yesterday . . . 

My grandfather was a carpenter.  Not just any carpenter, but a very fine carpenter.  I could drive to the small town where he and my grandmother lived all of their lives and I would suspect that most of the old houses there were at one time or another, remodeled or even built by him.  Most of them had his handiwork in them somewhere.  That old saw that is in the photo above, is in my garage.  It was passed down to me by my uncle...I treasure it.  We actually used it just last summer when we did some remodeling on our home.  Oh, if that old saw could talk!

 
 
I am fortunate enough to have many photos of my grandfather, he is the one on the bottom far left...such a handsome man.  It's so funny, when I look at my grandfather and his brothers, I see my brothers, my cousins, nephews, and my own grandsons.  Those family genes run deep.
 
As I looked around my house this afternoon, I realized that I have so many treasures that belonged to my grandparents and my parents . . . 
 
 
I decided to take a picture of what I could see as I sat in my favorite soft cozy spot.  On top of my old piano, there is a kerosene lamp that belonged to my grandparents.  On the wall next to the piano, there are two small pictures, they were my grandmothers.  On top of my old hutch, which has it's own story, there is an old ironstone pitcher, it was my great-grandmothers.  And in the hutch, are many things that belonged to my mother and my grandmother's on both sides.  In that same room next to the hutch, there is an old round farmhouse table that also belonged to my grandmother, I would never dream of getting rid of it, refinishing it or sanding out the blemishes.  It's old and the top is worn, but I love it.  When I run my hand over the top, with all of it's dents and scratches, I can only imagine how some of them got there.  Some of them are from my own children, and some are from times long since past.


In the corner next to the hutch sits a stool that my father made to put in a family cabin.  When the cabin was sold, each of my siblings and I got to take a stool, I cherish it.  


These are little dishes that my mother made many, many years ago.  I can remember them sitting out at Christmas when I was a small girl - we were never allowed to touch them. The berries are fading, but they are treasured by me, and hopefully will be treasured by whichever daughter, or granddaughter gets them next.  They are sitting next to several very old books that my husbands grandmother gave me...some are collectors.

This old elk whiskey decanter was my husbands parents.  It's not very old, I guess you could say it's vintage, it's from the 60's or 70's, but it's something that he remembers being in the house when he was a young man.  It will always have a place in my home.

As I contemplated my grandfathers life today, and the lives of all of my grandparents and parents, my heart literally became homesick.  Sometimes I become very nostalgic and the only way to describe what I am feeling is...homesick.  I miss all of those wonderful old souls and I am grateful for the way that each one of them touched my life and made me who I am today.  
 
What they built, let the rest of us maintain, wherever we may be.  



Have a blessed week, be safe, stay healthy.

Hugs and Love,
Barb

 
 



9 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Lovely post, Barb. I love the wonderful connection you have with your family and ancestors. That is so special and so important. The pictures you posted of your home look comfortable and inviting. Hope you have a good week and stay well.

Christine said...

What beautiful memories, which along with the items that you have which belonged to your grandparents.. priceless treasures to be sure. I love the photograph, and what a handsome fella he was too :-)
I understand that homesickness of which you speak. How I long to be able to sit with my grandparents, mother, and precious Aunts and Uncles, and to experience that sense of "belonging" again.
I am so glad you shared this with us today. It is a good reminder to us to cling to the values that we were blessed to learn from our families. Though they have passed, we have not forgotten.
God Bless You Barb,
Christine

Billie Jo said...

Dearest Barb,

What a lovely post this morning.
I enjoyed learning about your grandfather.
He was indeed a handsome young man.
It is fascinating to look at old photos, see the person they are, and know what the future holds. I know exactly what you mean about being homesick, my friend. I felt that this past Christmas. I was surrounded by my beautiful, loving family and was so happy and thankful. Yet, I felt a sense of sadness for the past. For Christmas days, I spent with my grandparents and father and aunts and uncles. Thank you for sharing your heart today. Hugs!

Vee said...

Charmed by this... Your home is filled with treasures as is my own.

Love your mother's white holly dishes...lovely and distinctive.

Shug said...

I loved this post. I love that you have these things that belonged to your grandparents. Oh Barb...I am so sentimental about things and I know you must be as well. The past, my heritage, is so very important and I love knowing that there are more like me. Absolutely beautiful post...

LeAnn said...

Wow, what beautiful treasures and memories you have. I can see why you cherish them. I have some too, and I wouldn't trade or sell them for anything. I love vintage stuff anyway. Thanks for sharing these treasures, memories of your Grandfather; I loved the photos too. He is a good-looking man, and all of the men were.
I loved the few moments I had with your Mother. Those White holly dishes are lovely. I have some teacups collected over the years by my own Mom and her Mother that I cherish. One day a daughter, daughter in law and or grandchild will get one.
Thanks for sharing this today; I loved it.
Sending loving thoughts and hugs!

Homemaker'sThoughts.blogspot.com said...

Thank you so much for this post, Barb. Thank you for sharing your memories and all the beautiful things in your home from the past - how blessed you are to have them and can enjoy them. It's so true about the "homesick" feeling - I feel that especially as I get older. I want them here again and just hear the laughter and the talking - I miss it.

What a beautiful and comfortable home you have and all those homey things from the past makes it especially pretty. God bless your week ahead and, again, thank you for sharing all of this. : )
Mary

Anonymous said...

Sweet Barb, your post is so tender and filled with such lovely memories. I am glad you have beautiful thoughts and treasures around you. I know what you mean by feeling homesick! xo

Marie Rayner said...

What a beautiful post and loving testimony to your grandfather and grandmother Barb! I didn’t get to know my grandparents very well except for my maternal grandmother. We lived quite far from them. But I can remember my parents deep sorrow when they passed. How very lucky you are to have such treasures. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

We've been Busy. . .

Hello!  How many of you celebrate, May Day?!  I can remember making May Day baskets in grade school, but I'm pretty sure it's someth...