Friday, January 11, 2019

Cinnamon Roll Recipe...As Promised!


As promised...these are my go-to cinnamon rolls when I am in a hurry.  They are so easy to make and taste like you spent all day making them!  This photo is right after I shaped them and put them in to raise...they will double in size!



I remember writing this recipe on this card almost 40 years ago from my mom's recipe box!  You can see I use it a lot, and it's very hard to read...so I will write it out for you!


Easy Cinnamon Rolls

Bring to a boil:  1 can evaporated milk (15 oz. size) and 1/2 cup regular milk.  

Remove from heat and add:  4 T. shortening, 6 T. sugar, 1/4 t. soda and 2 t. salt.  Stir well and cool to lukewarm.  

Then add:  2 large unbeaten eggs and 3 T. yeast that have been softened in 1/2 cup warm water.  

Mix altogether with a spoon and add 6 cups of flour or enough to make a sticky dough.  Turn onto a well floured board and lightly knead a few times to bring it all together (dough should be kind of sticky, not gooey).  Let the dough sit while you grease two large tins (I use large cookie sheets) and melt 1/2 stick of butter. 

Roll dough out into a square, no thinner than 1/2 inch thick IMPORTANT!  Spread with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar (you can use brown) then sprinkle with cinnamon, to your liking.  Fold the bottom half up over the top half, so that the filling is in the middle.  Cut strips about 3/4 of an inch wide.  As you pick them up, kind of stretch them a little and tie them in a knot as you place them on the cookie sheet (you can see how I did that in the photo).  Let them raise until fully double, about 1/2 hour.  Bake at 400 degrees until light brown, 10-12 minutes.  Frost while still hot or warm.  This recipe should make two cookie sheets full!
 
Sounds a little complicated, but once you make it, you will realize that it's a super easy recipe and really fast!

Have a wonderful week-end and be safe!!




Hugs and Love,
Barb





9 comments:

Saimi said...

Scrumpdillyicious!!! Thanks Barb for the recipe those look amazing and I'm sure smell even more so while baking. I'm going to put this recipe in my book of favorites!! YUM, YUM!!! Be careful out there, I hear it's been snowing in your neck of the state!
Have a good weekend!
Saimi

Billie Jo said...

Thank you!
And my family thanks you!
Hugs, sweet friend. : )

Christine said...

I love reading recipe cards that are handwritten. Your penmanship is beautiful.
And now for the cinnamon rolls... I just gained several pounds looking at them.

Vee said...

Beautiful penmanship! These sound delicious and pretty dangerous! I’ll have to wait for an excuse to try them, but I am pinning!

Anonymous said...

Barb, I need to make this! I'm not sure what "2 large unbeaten eggs and 3 T. yeast that have been softened in 1/2 cup warm water. " means. Does it mean dissolve the yeast in the 1/2 cup warm water then add the eggs? xo

Deb J. in Utah said...

Thanks for posting this, Barb. I will have to try these cinnamon rolls. They sound heavenly. Have a good week.

Barb said...

Yes, while you are heating up and cooling the milk, just put the yeast in 1/2 cup warm water to soften. You can add the eggs to the milk mixture when it is cool enough, or add them to the yeast before you put it in the milk mixture, either way works, it's hard to make a mistake with this recipe. The only way to ruin it is to add too much flour, and make the dough too stiff. Good luck!

Jill said...

These look delicious! :-) Have a wonderful week!!

Blessings,
Jill

Shug said...

Oh my Barb.....these look so delicious. And...if I get the chance to make them, I'm not even going to worry about the calories. Hot cinnamon rolls and a glass of milk is my weakness. Our kiddos love anything with cinnamon and for that reason I know these will be a big hit with them. Hope y'all are staying warm. Looks like the Country has some really cold weather coming in...

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...