Sunday, September 15, 2024

A few of my favorite movies . . . And other things

This is such a weird topic for me, because I don't usually write about movies.  I don't really watch very many movies.  But, last night I did re-visit an old movie that I just love . . . Somewhere In Time, staring, Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.  Are you familiar with this movie?  If not you should watch it.  It's got kind of a strange story line about time travel, but it's just a beautiful love story.  The music in this movie is very pretty.  The theme song was written by,  John Berry.  I watched this movie on, Amazon Prime Video.



Another favorite movie is, Bridges of Madison County.  It's another love story, a sad one, I cry every time I watch it!  It's about love that just wasn't meant to be. . .  But should have been.  It was directed by, Clint Eastwood, who also stars in it with, Meryl Streep. Watch it with a box of tissues.  Jason Robert Brown wrote the music to this beautiful love story.  This movie is also on, Amazon Prime Video.



With this next movie - I'm beginning to see a theme here!  The movie is, Out of Africa.  It stars, Meryl Streep and Robert Redford, and is based on a true story.  Another beautiful love story!  This movie has beautiful scenery and the soundtrack is amazing.  It was also written by John Berry.  I watched this movie on, Netflix, but I also think it's on Amazon Prime Video.  I obviously also like anything written by John Berry and Meryl Streep is obviously someone I admire ;0



 Anyway, moving on.  We love sourdough!  I'm always looking for a new recipe to use my often, endless supply of sourdough starter.  I don't like to discard the sourdough in order to feed it,  as it seems like such a waste.  So I found a recipe that sounded simple, and an easy way to use the discard.  It's called, Sourdough Starter Discard Coffee Cake.  It was really easy to make, a yummy treat, and a good way to use the discard.  You make this little cake in a 10" cast iron skillet.  First by heating the skillet, putting in the mixture, and then baking it and so the bottom is crispy.  It's not too sweet and it was a yummy snack cake.  



And finally . . .  Anonymous commenters.  I welcome all commenters, even anonymous commenters.  But, I was disappointed when I got a rude comment the other day about my fall decorations.  I don't know why some people feel the need to be rude.  I guess I have to remember that people who say mean things must not be very happy.  I will keep them in my prayers. 

Have a wonderful week.  We are looking forward to a rainy and cooler week.  I have a box of plums that I need to can or freeze or both.  We are still working on the basement, and I need to start some fall cleaning.  I hope you have a wonderful week!

 Stay safe XOXOX

Hugs and Love,

Barb

8 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb! I missed your fall decoration post, but I think your fall decorations are lovely. I am so sorry that you got a rude comment. I have had a few of those too. I loved, loved, loved Somewhere in Time back in the 80s. What a wonderfully romantic movie! I remember going to the bookstore to get the novel it was based on and that was good too. I never saw the other two movies for some reason, but I should play catch-up on Netflix sometime. I hope you have a good week. I am always happy to see you have a new blog post so I can see what's going on with you. See you again soon!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi again, Barb. I must be getting old because I did in fact comment on your fall post! I remember how delicious that bread that you made looked. I didn't know you were in DUP, but I am thinking of getting involved with that once I retire and have some more time. I am also eligible for Daughters of the American Revolution and looked into joining that a while back, but never went through with it. Teaching full time tends to leave me little time or energy for much else. Have a good one!

Anonymous said...

Those are all great movies, all destined to become classics. I'm partial to comedies, especially the Wayan's iconic movie "White Chicks" which was IMO, highly underrated as one of the best comedies of all time.

Lori said...

Sorry to hear about a rude comment. I just don't understand doing that. If you don't like something or agree, just move on. I've seen all of the movies you mentioned. Bridges of Madison County was an excellent book and movie. I have not ventured into sourdough but it is on my list for this winter. I have a friend that makes everything with sourdough. Wishing you a wonderful week.

Latane Barton said...

I've seen all three of those movies. Such delightful, sad, emotional stories. A tissue box is a must, as you said.

Cindy said...

I've heard of all those movies but I don't think I've seen any of them. I'd like to see in Somewhere in Time. It makes me think of The Time Travelers Wife. I really liked that one. I'll add Somewhere in Time to my 'must watch' list.

Shug said...

my first thought was Woodrow F Call from Lonesome Dove..."I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it." Prayers for this anonymous person. Your All decorations are so warm and welcoming Barb. Would you believe that I have never seen any of these movies. I wrote the titles down so I can add them to my list of movies to watch. Oh goodness....you can't beat a good ol' slice of sourdough bread, and this coffee cake looks so yummy....I'll take a slice with a nice cup of hot coffee....Have a good week Barb.

Lorrie said...

I love Out of Africa and Somewhere in Time, but I have never watched Bridges of Madison County. Maybe that would be something for this fall. I make waffles with my sourdough discard and freeze them so my husband can have them whenever he wants. Your coffee cake looks like another great option for discard.
Anonymous rude comments have me pushing the delete button. If someone can't put their name to what they say, it's not worth bothering with.

A few of my favorite movies . . . And other things

This is such a weird topic for me, because I don't usually write about movies.  I don't really watch very many movies.  But, last ni...