Tuesday, January 31, 2023

My Daybook . . .

 


Today . . . Tuesday, January 31, 2023.  When I got up this morning it was -13, yesterday it was, -20...it's getting warmer!  By the end of the week, it's suppose to be in the 30's.  The forecast is never very accurate where I live, but it was pretty close this time.  Yesterday the high in my area was only -3, today I think it got up to 5.  I can't remember it being this cold where I live for a very long time.  On Monday the roof was popping due to the cold temperatures.  A friend of mine told me that she heard a loud sound outside that sounded like a sonic boom.  She got up and did a little research and found out that it was a, frost quake.  I've never heard of that, but apparently when the water in the ground gets too cold it can make a very loud booming sound.  


On my playlist . . . There's nothing that John Barry has every written that doesn't make me smile.  Somewhere in time really has to be the most beautiful soundtrack ever written It just makes me feel so peaceful and content, it's actually one of my favorite movies!


Looking out my window . . . Everything is white, covered with snow and yes, I think it's quite beautiful.  I don't have to go outside.  I can stay inside and stay warm and only go outside if I choose to...and that's what I'm doing.  Here's the view from my back window . . . 


We didn't get our patio furniture put up in the fall, in fact, I didn't even take the old plants out of my planters!  But it's all good, it can all be cleaned out this spring.  The snow is so deep it's covering my back steps, and it looks like we won't be grilling for a while ;0)

What I'm thinking . . . Today, I realized how good I am feeling!  I love that I can finally sleep without heartburn!  It has been years since I have been able to go to bed and actually get a good nights sleep - such a blessing.  But, the downside is I'm still only eating pureed food, not my favorite part of this process.  Next week, I can eat soft food, so eggs (if I dare pay the price), soft meat, beans, soft cooked veggies, etc.  I'm really looking forward to eating somewhat normal food again.  By the 14th of February, I'll be able to eat normally . . . kind of. 

Something (or someone) I love . . . 


My youngest grandson, Tanner.  He got a new holster for his gun, so he has been, cowboy Tanner.  He's wearing an old hat of my husbands and a grey vest, just like grandpa's . . . isn't he adorable?!  Yes, this is someone I love!

I'm wearing . . . Right now I'm wearing jeans, warm socks and slippers.  I double layered a comfy shirt and a t-shirt just to stay warmer.  I may go put on a sweater . . .  just because.  Right now, it's 5 degrees outside.  

Creating . . . I'm not really creating much.  I did make a few new hot pads out of the leftover yarn from the crochet blanket I made.  I had a dear friend and neighbor who used to keep me in crocheted hot pads.  She was older and had a hard time getting around, and so she would crochet hot pads most of the day.  Everyone loved them, and if you went to visit her, you were gifted with a set of her wonderful hot pads.  She taught me how to make them years ago so here they are!


In the kitchen . . . Not much happening in my poor kitchen.  I did make Bob some coconut shrimp and a baked potato for supper tonight.  I made some baked potatoes in the pressure cooker (Instant Pot).  I used 5 medium size potatoes, and pressured them for 20 minutes on high.  They are perfect for him to cut up for breakfast with a few eggs or sausage.  

Just sayin' . . . 



Have a wonderful week friends!!  XOXO

Hugs and Love,
Barb



10 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb. I am glad you are starting to feel better. Good news for sure! Tanner looks like a true "tough guy" - a "good tough guy" for sure! It is bitter cold here too, but your beat us out. Our low this morning was 3 degrees. Supposed to be much warmer by Thursday. I always enjoy our Daybook posts. Enjoy the rest of the week and stay warm!

Lori said...

All of the snow is gorgeous and even more so when you get to stay inside. It has been cold here also but no snow. Your grandson is too cute!! I'm glad to hear you are feeling better every day and I'm sure you will be so happy to get back on solid food. Enjoy the rest of your week!!

Vee said...

Tanner is one handsome cowboy! Sooo it's your corner sending those wretched below 0° temps to my corner. The good news is that it doesn't last long.

You are being a good girl to stick with the plan. I am glad for you that soon the diet will return to something more pleasant. Yay for feeling so much better and for sleeping well.

Shug said...

Hi Barb....I am so thankful that you are feeling better. Acid reflux is bad enough without dealing with other issues from acid. I am Almost jealous of all that beautiful snow. I would love to have a deep snow here in East Texas. I think your grandson looks mighty handsome in his outfit. Nothing like the looks of a happy cowboy. Stay warm up there and enjoy the beautiful white fluff....

Homemaker'sThoughts.blogspot.com said...

Hi Barb - we, too, are in the deep freeze - really looking forward to this weekend when we'll at least be in the 30's!!! Always love your photos - okay......the little cowboy is adorable!! : ) I'm glad that you are feeling better and that eating is better too as you heal. Have a good upcoming weekend and stay cozy and take care!!!! God bless.
Mary

Marie Rayner said...

Isn't Tanner growing up. What a handsome boy in your husband's cowboy hat. I am glad that you are feeling better. I had never heard of frost quakes! You learn something new every day! Be well dear friend. Sending love. xoxo

Marie Rayner said...

PS - Somewhere in time is my all-time favorite movie. I adore the soundtrack from it.

Christine said...

Hello Barb, and I am sorry I am just seeing this post now. I hope though, that by now you are feeling even better than when last you wrote and with the 14th right around the corner, you’ll soon be eating normally and enjoying the things you love, right along with that cute wee cowboy, Tanner 😌
God bless you my friend and I look forward to your next update.
Christine

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I've never heard of a frost quake either. Learned something new.
The snow looks so pretty, and I love the picture of Tanner in his cowboy getup.
Glad you're feeling better.
The music from Somewhere in Time is beautiful. So is the music you shared on a previous post (Psalm 19), that I wanted to leave a comment on, but there was no option. Do you have comments disabled on some of your posts?

LeAnn said...

I love your daybook post. The backyard photo looks just like our backyard today. Lots of snow on our patio furniture. We will have a lot of cleanup in the Spring too. We need to catch up on many things and hope to finish them in the Spring.
Tanner is the cutest, and I love that he is playing Cowboy. But, unfortunately, you don't see that a lot anymore.
You should teach me how to crochet hot pads; I like them.
Great music, for sure, and I love your taste in music.
Blessings and hugs!

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...