Thursday, June 16, 2022

Throwback Thursday . . .

 

This is for, "Throwback Thursday".  I still feel the same way today as I did when I first published this post in June of 2011...It's always fun to look back!
 
****************

I love this porch!  Wouldn't you just love to pull up a chair, have a cold drink and talk about your day?!

So, let's talk!!  As most of you know, I have been listening to "oldies" on my playlist.  I love oldies, I love the idea that I can be transported back in time, to the very place that I heard a song for the first time.  For instance, I can remember exactly where I was the first time I heard, "Blue Velvet".  I was in our yard on Rose Avenue; I was only 8 or 9 years old, but I can remember hearing the song coming through the window just like it was yesterday - I loved it immediately!  I can also remember  listening to Petula Clark singing, "My Love is Warmer than the Warmest Sunshine".  I must have been watching the news on television at the same time, because I remember hearing that two little girls had fallen through the ice on the river near our home and drown . . . I was so sad; I think of those little girls today,  whenever I hear that song .   The day that my father passed away, I remember driving to Salt Lake City, he was at the Veteran's Hospital there.  It was Halloween night, and there were little devils, witches, pirates, and princesses' going door-to-door, filling up their bags and pumpkins with candy.  Stevie Wonder's, "I just Called to say I Love You", was the number one song that Fall,  and I think they played it every 4th or 5th song.  I can't hear it to this day without those same feelings of sadness coming back.  Indulge me with one more!  When I was in 6th grade the song, "Love is Blue", was very popular!  I can remember listening it it with my friends and memorizing the lyrics - we loved that song, although my favorite version of the song does not have lyrics.   All these songs are on my playlist to the right.

~More food for thought~

Would you like to turn back time?  How many of us would really like to go back and re-live  our past?  Not me!  There are sweet, tender moments in my life that I would love to re-live, like my wedding day, or the birth of my children and the feelings that I had the first time I held them in my arms.   But, time marches on, and we live in the present, not the past!   I know so many people who get caught up in the past, not wanting to change, or grow old, or move on.  I try to live in the present, remember the past and embrace the future.  I know that there will be lots of happy times, and sad times and times when I would just as soon live in the past, but . . . I'm looking forward to so many good things!   I love antiques, old music, old photographs, and would never want to forget anyone who I have loved and lost.  To know the past isn't always the same as it is to reflect upon and understand it.  It's wonderful to embrace the past, but not live in it.  I have learned some really valuable lessons from my past, and I have no intention on repeating them, those lessons have made me who I am today - and today, I am learning to like who I am.
 
 *****************
 
These cute kids are now, 16 and 14 years old, wow, how time flies!  The funniest thing though...my husband still has that shirt in his closet after all those years!!

******************

Emily

Caleb

Swinging!
"I chase the sun and catch it, then
I let it chase me back again.
It captures me, but I don’t care;
I’m always happy in the air."
~Susan Noyes Anderson~
Warm Hugs,

4 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb. This is a fun post and brought back lots of memories. I recall all of those songs you mentioned. Charly and I got married in 1979 and we were young in the 1980s, so I really like a lot of that music, and even the TV shows of that era. Amen for learning lessons from the past, but living in the present looking forward to good things to come. Yes, it has taken me many, many years to learn to like to who I am as well. I really love this thoughtful post, and that you are back in blogland!

Kerin said...

What a delightful post!
I loved reading about your memories, both good and bad, and how so many of your memories were marked by a song :)

It's nice to have the experiences that enrich our lives, and lessons that we learn from that hopefully make us wiser.
I have learned that each season of my life is rich and a blessing to me, even when I have to do hard things, I am better for those experiences.
I too love, love old stuff...old furniture, old music, old books, old stories, old recipes, etc..
Simpler times.
It's incredible to see how much your Grands have grown. It seems like the years went by in a blink!
Had to smile at the thought of your hubby still having that same shirt....must be good shirt!!

~Smiles :)
~K.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Love this post. It brought back memories as I thought of those songs. They were goodies, and I remember them all.
I did some reminiscing on my blog today as well--about a show that made me laugh way back in the day.

Homemaker'sThoughts.blogspot.com said...

What a fun and interesting post, Barb!! I love the picture of the porch. I like to study pictures like that and see how I can emulate it at our home. Isn't it just homey and cozy? There ARE times that I would like to go back and change, but mostly, like you, I want to keep moving on. I've learned a lot in the past years and am hoping that I won't stop learning!!! : ) Thank you for this post - such a good idea. A hug to you from MN - Mary S.

We've been Busy. . .

Hello!  How many of you celebrate, May Day?!  I can remember making May Day baskets in grade school, but I'm pretty sure it's someth...