Friday, February 28, 2020

My Daybook . . .

 

Today - February 28, 2020
On my playlist . . .


I am thinking . . . On Tuesday we put our sweet little (she's 19, so she's not so little, but little to her grandma) granddaughter on an airplane and sent her to New Zealand.  She is serving there as a missionary for, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, for the next 18 months.  She was so excited!!  I was so sad, but so very excited at the same time!! She will be a wonderful missionary!


 I am thankful . . . I am thankful for modern technology that will let us to talk to Taylor once a week, and allow us to e-mail her whenever we want.  Technology that will let us to find her on Google Maps, so maybe it will seem like she isn't so far away after all!  I'm also thankful for my children and extended family who support us and are always there whenever we need them. . .

Taylor, with Jessica and her family. . . 

one last snuggle with Averi...

 all set with her New Zealand cash . . .

a tender moment with Tanner . . .her favorite little buddy . . .

A final photo with her family . . .

A very hard moment for me as her mom and dad walked her to her departure gate.  

While we were waiting for her boarding call, we had a wonderful tender mercy.  We happened to see a dear friend of the family, who was leaving to go to Arizona and happened to be at the airport at the same time as we were, we had no idea she was going to be at the airport that day.  Of course we weren't able to go through the gates . . . but she was able to go through with Taylor.  Renee was able to sit with her for the next hour, calm her nerves, hug her and take a few pictures as she boarded the plane.  This was not coincidental...tender mercies!

It took her about 18 hours go get to New Zealand from Idaho.  She left here at 10:30 am on Tuesday, and she arrived there at around 5:30 am, on Thursday, so she basically missed Wednesday!  She e-mailed when she got there and sounded super excited to start her journey!  I can hardly wait to watch her as she grows and learns to love and serve the people of New Zealand.  She is looking forward to sharing the gospel and love of Jesus Christ with them! 



I loved this picture...one last nap with Bandit, her favorite little furry friend. He will really miss her, she's had him for13 years.

From the kitchen . . . My kitchen has been so neglected for the last few weeks!  I have only made really quick meals because I have been so busy.  So, one thing on my to-do list, is to get back in the kitchen and start cooking...real meals!  The first one will be this yummy,  go-to meatloaf.  I like to serve this with a baked potato and a veggie.


Meatloaf with Brown Sugar Glaze

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 package of dry onion soup mix
3/4 cup bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, ketchup and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. In a large bowl combine garlic, Worcestershire sauce, milk, eggs, salt, pepper, soup mix and bread crumbs.  Add ground beef and mix to thoroughly combine.  Shape into a loaf and spoon ½ of prepared brown sugar/ketchup mixture onto the top of the loaf.

Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until juices run clear.  I like to put more of the ketchup mixture on top before I serve the meatloaf.  I also save a little to serve on the side at the table.  Let the meatloaf stand 10 minutes before slicing.


I am wearing . . . Today, I wore jeans and a gray sweater.  It's still pretty cold here, although we did reach about 37 degrees today!

I am creating . . . I'm not super creative lately.  Although I did make a cute little table-scape for my dining room table.  I needed something a little more springlike.  I did stick with nature, because that's just what I do ;0)


I'm going . . . I'm going to stay home tomorrow!  I need to finish up some laundry, make a few phone calls, get some cleaning done, prepare for church and get ready for a grandson's birthday on Sunday!

I'm hoping . . . I need to get my bathrooms and office painted before spring gets here so that I can have new carpet installed.  I've been putting it off all winter, and now I need to get it done.  You'd think I would have done it by now, but I am such a procrastinator when it comes to painting!! 

I'm hearing . . . I'm listening to soft music on my computer while I type and silence everywhere else.  It's 9:10 p.m. so it's quiet and dark outside.  I love this time of night.  I like that it's getting dark later and later each day, soon it will be 10:00 before the sun sets!

Outside my window . . . A beautiful pink sunset, such a good way to end the day.


Just sayin' . . .


Be safe XOXO

Hugs and Love,
Barb





7 comments:

The WIlloughby Family said...

I dont know why I subscribe to your blog posts, they always make me cry! I didnt realize how much I already miss that girl until I see pictures again. That was a really special day and I cant wait to talk to and see her soon!!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb - I love this post and I sure need that quote at the end. So wonderful that your granddaughter has started this amazing adventure in New Zealand. It will change her life for sure! Brings back memories of when my son Josh left for his two years in Mexico. I love your centerpiece and that recipe is one I will try for sure. Thanks so much and rest up today! Happy birthday to your grandson tomorrow!

Sue said...

Hi Barb, such a precious post,I could feel the heartache, in you words, but like you I am so thankful for technology! I can only imagine how thankful and proud Taylor's family is of her. Missionary work is hard work, but so much rewarding, I have a granddaughter in south Africa doing some missionary work with Hillsong.

Sending lots lot love and prayers to all! I love your worship music!
Blessings,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Sweet Barb, oh your granddaughter has such a beautiful smile! What a wonderful opportunity! I will say a little prayer for her and you too! Your tablescape is perfect! I've nothing on my table at the moment. I need to get movin'! {{HUGS}}

Lisa said...

Prayers for your granddaughter and her missions. Love the tablescape. I have a spring one that I need to bring out. So tired of winter and look forward to warm weather and gardening. Have a blessed week!

Christine said...

Hello again Barb,
Thank you for sharing the lovely pictures of your grand-daughter and her family as she prepared to leave for the mission field. I know it would have been a happy time for you all, but so bittersweet too. From experience these many years, I know it's tough to say goodbye to our beloved family members when they go. I hope you are feeling a bit better today now that you know Taylor has made it safe and sound to New Zealand. I agree that it certainly was not coincidence that your friend happened to be in the Airport at the same time as your grand-daughter. God is good!
I am with you on the painting thing. I have grand plans to do some painting in one of the upstairs bedrooms, but struggle with finding the energy to do it :-)
Your centrepiece is lovely. I so enjoy seeing the creative efforts ladies put into their homes.
Have a lovely day,
Blessings,
Christine

Shug said...

Oh Barb....I know you all are so proud of Taylor. My prayers for her as she begins this journey for the Lord, and prayers for you and the family as I know you will be missing her so much. What a wonderful Blessing it is for her to have this opportunity..

Happy Spring!

  Outside my window . . .  Two weeks ago this is what it looked like.  We had a  huge winter storm, and got 12 inches of new snow!  It was c...