Sunday, December 6, 2009

Joseph . . .



I often think about Joseph, and wonder how he felt, when he found out that he would be the earthly father of the Savior.  Before Joseph and Mary came together, she was expecting that holy child. Joseph wanted to protect Mary's privacy, hoping to spare her the punishment given to a woman found pregnant without a completed marriage. While he pondered these things, the angel Gabriel appeared to Joseph, saying,  “Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost". What faith Joseph must of had when Gabriel, the angel, also said,  “And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins”.  Mary and Joseph did not need to be taught the deep significance of the name Jesus. The Hebrew root from which it was derived, Jehoshua, means “Jehovah is salvation.” So the mission of Jehovah, soon to be named Jesus, was salvation, and His supreme destiny was to become the Savior of the world!  What an awesome responsibility it  must have been for Joseph, knowing he was raising the Son of God, the Savior of the world.  Joseph, who was but a simple, humble carpenter, a family man, who loved God and loved His Son.  I am sure there is a special place in heaven for Joseph.

Michael McLean, wrote a beautiful song about Joseph, called, "I was not his Father, He was mine."  This is one of the songs from the play, The Forgotten Carols, a beautiful story about  love and hope.  Please, pause my Christmas music and listen to this beautiful song, it is one of my favorites . . . any time of the year.
 


Blessings, Barb

1 comment:

Karen Beth said...

As eloquently put as usual. I love that song, but you know me, my heart is always in a child's mode. My favorite song about Joseph is a Primary song called: "When Joseph went to Bethlehem". I can just see how it was then in this song and it is put in such simple language. I love you. Karen

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...