Monday, December 7, 2009

Old Fashion Ornaments . . .




I finally put my tree up - with a few alterations, it looks just fine!  I will personally never buy a pre-lit Christmas tree again- we had ours 1 year and the lights started going out in sections.  I finally just put regular lights on the darn thing, but it really looked terrible.  So . . . with Chris' help, we took the 6 foot tree, threw away the bottom half and with lots of patience, took off all of the factory  lights - Oh My!!!  Never again.  But, while I was going through my Christmas ornaments, I came across a couple of old boxes that I got from my mother - rescued from my mother.  They were full of some of the ornaments that I remembered as a child and some that were apparently my step-fathers, because I could not remember them.  But, they were charming!  I found some old, old, tinsel, the small kind that didn't have a lot to it, but it was so pretty.  And 5 or 6 of the little clip on birds, some without their clips, but I made them work.  A few hand made ornaments that I had made and some I didn't recognize.  But it's finally done, and it looks very festive.  Here are a few pictures, I don't think that I did any of them justice - I need to figure out my camera!


I just love this little parrot - he was the bird in the best shape


Bob's mother gave us this star years ago - it was the star they had on their tree when she was a child - she is 81 years old - I don't know how old the star is.


This is'nt a very good picture, but this santa is very old and fragil - he looks kind of scary!


This is the old tinsel - not a good picture - it's really very pretty.


Sorry about this picture - I saved the best ornament for last.  I bought this ornament from Avon, many years ago when my kids were small.  It's a tea cup with a little mouse family in it.  The mother is serving them tea.  You plug in one of the twinkle lights from your tree into a small hole on the side, and it lights up,  Isn't it cute!  My grandkids love it.

Blessings, Barb

4 comments:

Karen Beth said...

That is so cute. I finally got my trees up today too. I even pulled out the old ornaments that mom had given me. I also found two boxes of them at D.I. in Rexburg that were almost like the ones we had growing up, $1 a box. I was so excited. I am going to post pictures soon. Yours look so cute. Love you. Karen

Heather B. said...

I love old ornaments! I also love birds at Christmas time. I have a few on my tiny little 3 foot tree. Your blog background is so cute, by the way.

The Halls said...

How fun, I love the old fashion ornaments. They are so cool and different. It looks adorable. Have a great day, Love Laura

The Stewart said...

Gorgeous! I love them!

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...