Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Summer is slipping away . . .

Outside my window . . . It's been raining all morning.  We have had so much smoke and grain dust in the air that this was a much needed reprieve from the horrible air quality.  Like the rest of the country, it has been hot here in Idaho.  Hot and windy, not a good combination.  It's cooling down though, and I can feel a change in the air.  The sun is setting earlier, and the sunset is moving South a little more each day.  Soon the leaves will change, fall off the trees, and soon thereafter, the snow will fall.  I'm not quite ready for that.  Are you ready for autumn?

On my playlist . . . Sinatra always makes me happy!




What I'm thinking . . . 

I've had a wonderful summer, filled with grandkids, camping, and fun filled nights with friends.  Here's more than a few of the photos I took to document my summer . . . 


Tanner is very patriotic!





Best way ever to watch the fireworks!




While the kids were here,  the boys helped grandpa build new steps for our  back door.  Actually, my grandsons did the majority of the work.  Don't they look great!


I had three of my grands here for a week.  We had a lot of fun, even though it was sooo hot!  On one of those blistering days, I decided I would teach them all how to crochet!  It was a big hit!  For 3 of the 7 days they watched, Little House on the Prairie  and crocheted, they loved it . . . so did I.  They made hot pads and dish clothes.  We were inspired by Little House to do a whole day of pioneers, including and old fashioned dinner.  We had baked chicken, creamed asparagus on toast, and green beans and corn.  After a dinner, we made, Doughty Cakes.  They are actually a sweet baking powder biscuit, fried in oil and rolled in cinnamon and sugar.  Everyone loved them, and we had fun learning about our ancestors, who were pioneers.









Another fun camping trip . . . 







On this camping trip, we were able to see the Northern Lights.  Not the best photo, but the best we could do with a cell phone.  The kids really got a kick out of this natural wonder!










My sweet little Indy is growing up.  She's not spoiled at all . . . just loved. ;0)



On this night we went dancing with some friends.  That's them, cuddling on the dance floor ;0)  We had a great time!  It was literally a barn dance, with a live band.  We had a blast and can't wait until next time we go kick up our heels!

We ended last week with Averi's birthday, she turned 22 this year . . . the years are going by way too fast!  It was a great way to end the week.


She wanted banana upside-down cake and it was delicious!!




She had a great party, and got lots of fun gifts . . . Averi is such a little lady, and loved by everyone she meets!  She is an amazing young woman!

Well, that about sums up my summer.  Maybe if I posted more, these posts wouldn't be soooo long!  I'll work on that . . . 

But, until then, enjoy the rest of the summer, soak in the sun, play outside, call those you love, eat ice cream, wear your flip flops, get a little color in your cheeks, take a ride in the country, and remember you are loved.


Until then, be safe.

Hugs and Love,
Barb




5 comments:

Shug said...

Hey Barb....so glad to see your post and I will say, I love EVERYTHING about it....except the dust and heat you all have had. Happy Birthday to AverI. I could tell she was enjoying her special day. What an awesome way to view the fireworks....on a tractor lift. Farm life...it's what I love and I also enjoyed seeing your grandkids work at an art that I want to learn so much...I just cannot seem to crochet at all....Your guys did a beautiful job on the back steps...I need them down here in Texas to help me get some things done. lol. I am totally ready for Fall....We need some cooler weather and I am so ready to see the Fall colors. Thanks for this wonderful post...

Billie Jo said...

Yay! Barb is here! I so enjoyed sharing your summer through your beautiful photos and thoughtful words. My favorite has to be the crocheting while watching Little House on the Prairie, and having a pioneer dinner.Those young people will remember those summer days forever. It has been so hot and humid here. But then, you know I am always ready for fall! Have a cozy evening, my friend.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb! It's always good to read about what you have been up. Looks like you have had a great summer! This post has so much to love - especially your sweet grandchildren! It's so fun that you had a "Little House on the Prairie" themed day! How fun. I also love all of your camping adventures, sweet Averi's birthday and your beautiful flowers. What a great summer you have had Barb! So many memories! I hope that your fall is just as special! See you again soon,
my friend.

Lori said...

Hi Barb. I was glad to see a post from you and what a wonderful post it is. The photos of your summer are awesome. It sounds like you've been doing a lot of wonderful fun things with your family. That's a great way to spend the days!! I am looking forward to fall but I don't want to rush the days any faster than they are already going. Stay cool and enjoy the last bits of Summer.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

You have such a pretty view out your window.
Loved all the pictures of your summer, and got a kick out of your grandsons learning how to crochet. But hey, why not.
How cool that you were able to get a glimpse of the northern lights.
I can't believe how fast this summer has flown by.

A few of my favorite movies . . . And other things

This is such a weird topic for me, because I don't usually write about movies.  I don't really watch very many movies.  But, last ni...