Thursday, February 16, 2023

My Daybook . . .


Outside my window . . . It has been cold, snowy and windy.  I think I said that a few posts ago. It is definitely mid-winter in Idaho, with all it's snow storms and cold temperatures.  On Valentine's Day, the weather was so bad that people were snowed in up and down the valley...it lasted for two days.  The roads were closed because of blowing snow and cold temperatures.  It was not nice outside ;0)

On my playlist . . . I have to say that I may have shed a tear on the day Burt Bacharach passed away earlier this week.  It is said of him that, he was a touchstone of what we most loved – and lost – about 20th century American culture, the glorious like of which we will never see again.  At the age of 94, he too knew that the world needed love today more than ever.  He will be missed.

I'm thinking . . . It's been a bit since I've been here...I've been in somewhat of a winter funk.  There's been a lot on my mind and I'm just having a hard time, shaking these blues.  Although, I have had some really beautiful moments in the last few weeks, and I'm grateful for them, but, it's still hard to shake the winter blues...I'm working on it.  

I'm thankful for . . .Tonight I'm thankful for a warm home, enough food, warm clothes, a warm bed, and a family who loves me.  I'm grateful for good children and grandchildren.  I'm grateful that my husband and I were able to work hard, so that today we don't need to worry about how we will get along in our old age.  I know that things could change on a dime, but right now, I'm thankful for where I am in life.

A few things I love . . . 


This is the second time this beautiful amaryllis has bloomed this year.  It even has another bloom coming up from the bottom.   I just love watching it grow.


I love this grandson who has made the decision to dedicate the next two years of his life to the Lord, as he serves the people of Croatia.  He's somewhat of a tease, I'm not sure Riley appreciated it ;0)


I love that my son and his daughter were willing to come and help my granddaughter and her new husband get their things packed so they could move to Utah.  Everyone was busy or out of town that day, but Chris and Clara were happy to come and help.

I'm wearing . . . I'm wearing a warm sweater, jeans, warm sock, and slippers. And I have a warm blanket over me.  Did I mention that it's really cold outside?!

Creating/created . . . After I made my crocheted blanket, I decided to make a few new hot pads for one of my daughters.  She really liked them and I was happy to have my hands busy.


In the kitchen . . . I made cookies to take to my granddaughter on Valentine's Day.  Each year on Valentine's Day, her school has a lunch for grandparents' or parents.  It's a fun way to spend time with her and spoil her a bit.  But, this year they had to cancel it because of the snow storm.  It will be held on the 23rd, and we are looking forward to having lunch with her then.

I was released to start eating regular food on Tuesday and I was so excited to get to have something other than cottage cheese and fruit!  My stomach really can't hold much, but, I did make tacos that night, and they tasted so good!


Just sayin'  . . . 


Kind of how I feel today!  Have a wonderful week-end.  I'm looking forward to reading and commenting tomorrow!

Be safe XOXO

Hugs and Love, 
Barb


12 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb. Yep, cold down here too. Yesterday was a beautiful, sunny day, but snow and colder temps return next week, according to the forecast. I am glad that you are now back on a more regular diet. We all need something tasty now and then. Your Valentines Day cookies look so good. I get the mid-winter blues as well, so I do get it. I am glad that you have a warm, comfortable home, plenty of what you need and that you are surrounded by people you love who love you in return. That is such a cute picture of your missionary grandson. Have a good weekend. See you again soon!

Homemaker'sThoughts.blogspot.com said...

Barb - again, I love your daybook posts! It sounds as if you are making progress in your recovery (except for those winter blues). I think it's safe to say that a lot of us are experiencing those right now. Thinking of all the things to be grateful for is really a help, isn't it. And then there's the cold........here too!! This weekend will be decent but I'm really yearning for a little green and warmth. : ) Thanks so much for your posts, Barb!
Mary

Lori said...

Good Morning. We went from 68 degrees on Wednesday to 28 degrees this morning with snow. CRAZY weather!!
Burt Bacharach was an icon. I too was very sad to hear he passed away.
It's amazing to think about all of the simple things that bring us joy. Warm bed, hot shower, all of our necessities covered. I too am blessed.
Have a wonderful Friday!!

Vee said...

I had not heard about Burt Bacharach. His music is forever. I did hear about Raquel Welch.

It is pretty normal to have the winter blues. I have them, too, and I am calling us normal. ☺️

Yay! Very happy that you can have some normal food, too. I can only imagine how good those
tacos tasted,

Hang tough, Barb, spring is coming!

Billie Jo said...

Hello, my lovely friend. It is always a pleasure to visit you here and enjoy the words you write. Your love of family and faith is inspiring. Your cookies will be delicious, I am sure! And you must have all the snow. It was 60 degrees here this week! Have a cozy weekend!

Lorrie said...

A lovely post to read, Barb, full of good things. So glad you are able to eat regular food again. Winter is lingering here, too, and we're in for another cold blast next week. Hopefully that will be the end of it!

Shug said...

Looks pretty chilly there. With that much snow, our area would be shut down for days. lol. I know you are so very proud of your grandson and the work he is doing for the Lord. What a fabulous Blessing to so many. I think the Winter funk is wide spread right now. I often think about those people in Alaska and how they not only have the cold, but they have long hours of no sunlight. Hang in there Barb. you've had a lot of things going on, but this too shall pass. Before long, it will be bright skies and plenty of sunshine. Hope you enjoy a great Sunday..

Pam said...

Here in Nashville we have a battle going on, Old Man Winter and Mother Nature can not decide whose turn it is to come out and play. Last week we went from 73 to 41 the next day. Today, we are at 55 at 9am. Crazy. We have had no snow this yr. I hate that cause last yr for the first time in forever we had a couple of really good ones. Well, good for us. I love your questions in this post. I might borrow them for an up coming post. I am always looking for things to blog about, usually its daily life but this would be fun. Nice blog.

Marie Rayner said...

We have had a crazy winter here in Nova Scotia Barb. No snow much to speak of, but plenty of rain and temperatures that fluctuate wildly between fairly mild and frigid. Its nuts and plays havoc with my arthritis! I am glad that you are feeling so much better! Praise God! Your grandson does look rather cheeky! He will love Croatia. What a beautiful country to serve in! As always I enjoy your day book with all the photos and catching up with the goings on in your life. Love you! xoxo

LeAnn said...

Barb, you always brighten my day. I am happy to hear that your surgery went well. I'm so glad that you can eat a little more. You are so brave to have this surgery. I have been checking up on you.
I loved reading this blog; I have missed reading them. I have been in a funk for a very long time. I have a hard time being organized enough to sit down and read blogs and write one of my own. But I do plan to write one soon, maybe even tonight.
I loved all your photos and stole one of our Granddaughter and Granson-in-law. I love that Chris and Diana helped them.
Is it ever going to start to warm up? We got 21 inches of snow today. That will be a record. I last saw that much snow a few years ago. They closed the temple today.
I am excited about your Grandson's mission. It was fun to talk with him and her at the wedding.
I will catch up with reading some of your blog posts. I have been in a few times to see how you are doing but have yet to comment. You take the best sunset photos and other scenery. I love to borrow them.
Blessings and hug to you two!

The Happy Whisk said...

I'm glad you had some beautiful moments. Here's to more of those. Glad the tacos were good too! Love the heart-shaped cookies. The hot pads are very cool as well.

annie said...

I will miss Burt as well. His song, House is not a Home as he sung it himself, always made me nostalgic and teary eyed.
I wish I was moving back to Utah. I miss it so very much.
I am glad you can eat normally again too. Lovely post full of good things to hear about. I wish you an early warm spring.

We've been Busy. . .

Hello!  How many of you celebrate, May Day?!  I can remember making May Day baskets in grade school, but I'm pretty sure it's someth...