Wednesday, September 14, 2022

My Daybook. . .

Outside my window . . . It rained yesterday!  It was really cool all day long, so those rain drops were like drops from heaven.  We needed rain so desperately, with any luck, it will rain off and on all week.  It's also very smoky, you can barely see the hills.  There's a fire about 30 miles from where we live.  It's been contained but it's not out yet.


On my playlist . . . I don't know about you, but I listen to different music at different seasons.  Of course we all listen to Christmas music in December, but I listen to different genres each month.  This month, this is what I listen to.  Jay Ungar and Molly Mason, they make such beautiful music together.


I'm thinking . . . I love that autumn is finally here!  Not that I won't miss Summer, just a little, but my heart is orange, yellow and red.  I'm also thinking about how much these sweet grands will grow up this winter.  Their lives will change so quickly and these moments caught on camera are fleeting moments that will never come around again...I just soak them in.  This was a fun day swimming and splashing...those fun water days are behind them for another year.






 

I'm Thankful for . . . These beautiful sunflowers that brighten my day.  And of course, the beautiful sunsets that magically appear each night right outside my door.  





I'm praying for . . . So many things on my prayer list.  First of all, I'm praying for all those who are suffering in the world and those who mourn, especially those in the UK who are grieving for the loss of, Queen Elizabeth.  Such a wonderful example of grace, beauty and dignity, the world lost a very special soul.  I'm also praying for the family of a dear friend of mine who lost a battle with brain cancer on Saturday.  She was an amazing, sweet, kind, smart, beautiful lady who will be greatly missed by her family and friends.  But she will be especially missed by her husband her children and her grandchildren.  LeAnn was only 58 years old.  Rest in peace, sweet friend.  

In my kitchen . . . I haven't been cooking much these days, but I am going to make rolls for my friends funeral on Thursday.  This roll recipe is really easy and very tasty.  This is my daughter's recipe and it's also my go recipe, not only for rolls, but for cinnamon rolls as well.


Jessica's rolls

1 1/2 cup warm water

1 Tbls. yeast

1/3 cup sugar

2 eggs, beaten

1/4 cup oil

1 tsp. salt

3-4 1/2 cups flour

Put warm water in a large bowl or mixer.  Add the yeast and sugar and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then add the oil and the beaten eggs and a cup or two of the flour, mix it up for a few minutes before adding the salt and the rest of the flour.  Add the flour a little at a time so you don't add too much.  The dough should be soft and barely sticky.  Turn into an oiled bowl and let sit until doubled.  Shape into rolls and let raise in a warm place.  Bake at 350 degrees until light golden brown, about 20 minutes or so.  These are delicious!

I'm creating . . . There are several things on my "creative list", but I haven't started doing anything yet.  Here's one of the projects I would love to make.


There were no directions for this cute pumpkin, not even a link, but I have a few doilies that I made years ago that would look pretty made into pumpkins...it looks easy enough to figure out.  

One of my favorite things . . . I have really been enjoying this Celestial Seasonings tea.  I love to have a cup of hot tea on these rainy cool nights, and this one is just perfect.  It seems sweet because of the licorice root, but spicy and delicious because of all the spices, it's so good.

I'm watching . . . I'm watching, The Gilmore Girls of course!  After all, it's fall, and I only watch it in the fall . . . it's on Netflix 🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁🍁


Just sayin' . . .  this is really how I feel at this stage in my life. . .


Be safe, see you soon.

Hugs and Love,
Barb

7 comments:

Christine Smith said...

Loved seeing your photos Barb, and you’re so right. Treasure those “littles” who will soon become “grown.” Time seems to be going by so quickly these days. I’m very sorry to hear about your friend. 58 is far too young, and my heart feels your sorrow. Thank you for the recipe for the rolls. It looks simply delicious.
That tea looks lovely. We can’t get Celestial Seasonings where I live, but I am able to buy their “Sleepytime Tea” from Amazon. Think I’ll have a look for the vanilla spice 😌 Have a lovely day my friend, Christine

Vee said...

You are sounding wistful... And, of course, with the loss of your friend, that would be so. Seems as if this has been a sad week for England, for this country, and for you personally. I do love Jay Ungar's music, too. He often sounds wistful. Good thing we have your grands to remind us of the joys and excitement in this life as well. ♥️

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Barb. Lovely post and beautiful pictures. Those shots of your grands in the pool are precious. So sorry to hear about your friend. 58 does seem young. So glad you can help by donating some delicious rolls to her funeral luncheon. I will have to check out that kind of tea. I occasionally enjoy a non-coffee warm drink. My husband says that we should meet up next time we are up in Idaho to see Josh. Are you game? Let me know. I am not completely sure when our next trip up will be. I hope you have a good week.

Homemaker'sThoughts.blogspot.com said...

I always love your daybook, Barb. Your photos, what you are up to, what you enjoy, etc. I am so very sorry about your loss. It's difficult at any age, but when someone is young, it's especially hard. What a wonderful "gift" to bring to the funeral - the dinner rolls look (and sound) wonderful - thank you for sharing the recipe with us. I will especially want to try them for the cinnamon rolls. And I'll have to be on the lookout for that tea - perfect for the days to come. God bless, Barb.
Mary S.

annie said...

I made some "bowls" out of doilies using mod podge to stiffen then to ceramic hardness. I so enjoyed your photos today and I will try the recipe soon!

Jennifer said...

Oh I love that quote...so very true! Looks like you have a had lovely week - and summer. What fun that lazy days in the pool are! And how wonderful to have the much needed rain. I am always awed by your sunsets!! Here's to a peace-filled weekend ahead....and some extra moments for a nice cup of tea while enjoying the change of season!

Kerin said...

Sorry about your friends passing. So very young, indeed.
The rolls look yummy and I'm sure that without being mentioned they will be a blessing for a family and friends that are grieving.
Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Your Grands are certainly growing up quickly, and you're so right...time just flies and we must be grateful and soak up sweet moments.

Isn't that something...the smoke is awful from wildfires, but they create such beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Enjoy this lovely season, where things are turning the colors of your heart...orange, yellow and red :)

~K.

Happy Spring!

  Outside my window . . .  Two weeks ago this is what it looked like.  We had a  huge winter storm, and got 12 inches of new snow!  It was c...