Tuesday, November 27, 2018

November Thoughts . . .about December . . .


It's been a long, hard month for me, lots of changes, and I'm not good with change...and it's almost December, I'm also not good with December. 

I love November, and it's hard for me to let her go.  Not that I don't like December, there's just something about November that makes me want to linger there and hunker down until spring. 



I'm just not quite ready to put away the beautiful colors of Fall, and get out the Christmas decorations.  I love the autumn colors, they just make me feel happy and content.

If you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that I'm not a happy, joyful Christmas person, I struggle with Christmas.  Not the meaning of Christmas.  I love the meaning and the reason that we celebrate...I love the Savior and love to celebrate His birth, not just at Christmastime, but everyday of the year.

That said, I've decided to start early, remembering the reason why we celebrate...I'll start today, even though it's still November.  Today, I'll try to change my attitude and feel differently about all the hustle and bustle and materialism.  I will never be able to accept it, but I will try to make my life and my home peaceful and quiet.  I will try hard to find the joy and love this Christmas season!


Today, I'll resolve to hang on and remember the the beautiful colors of autumn, as they turn from orange and gold to red and green.  Let me not get tired, cranky and crabby.  Let me, instead, treasure the delight at the heart of this season of love.  Let December roll on!!

Remember
This December,
That love weighs more than gold!
~Josephine Dodge Daskam Bacon~




Hugs and Love,
Barb












11 comments:

Terra said...

I agree with you, to focus on our Savior makes Christmas beautiful.

Vee said...

Thanksgiving is my favorite, too. November not so much. November here has looked very much like Christmas so I have been ready for some time now. I know that you will work everything out for when you focus on Him and what He wants, it will all come together. That is a beautiful Nativity graphic.

Billie Jo said...

Hello Sweet Barb,

I share your love of autumn and the coziness of November.
And I say "NO THANK YOU!" to the bustle and materialism and constant pressure to go and spend.
Like you, I strive to make my home a quiet, peaceful haven for my people. : )
Nice to know you are out there, doing the same.
Hugs and love!

Cindy said...

Love this! I agree with you about the hustle and bustle of the season so I hope you get a lot of quiet time to just sit and reflect on all of the Lord's blessings.

Jill said...

My favorite thing at Christmas is the time with my family..... although it is also painful remembering those loved ones we have lost, but being thankful for each and every day and enjoying the beauty of the lights and decorations. Just a magical time of year. Hope things turn around for you to enjoy the season as well. :-)

blessings,
Jill

Christine said...

I was reluctant to put away my Fall decorations.
You've had a "hard" Fall. Now, it's December and like you said, time to reflect on the meaning. What ever that looks like, simple or festive.
Bless you!

LeAnn said...

Oh my sweet friend, I can relate to it all. I do love Christmas and I struggle because I usually don’t get to see all my children at all. We have an annual Christmas party but no one can really attend that lives away. This year we are having one when our Foreign Exchange daughter comes next week for two half days from Brazil. Everyone is invited of course, but we will jsut have the local families which still equals 25. Last year we loved being in Hawaii but I missed my traditional Christmas. There just isn’t a way to have everyone home for Christmas.
I’m looking forward to some sweet peaceful moments of remembering what the true Christmas is all about.
I loved your thoughts and I love you and pray you will have a lovely Christmas celebration with your dearest family.
Sending happy thoughts and hugs your way!

Marsha said...

A.M.E.N!

Marie Rayner said...

Love you Barb and all that you share. I have always loved Christmas and throughout my children's growing up years tried to give them the best Christmas's that I could. Christmas for me now is a mix of emotions and feelings. Sadness because I never get even a message from my children, which hurts, sad because we never have any money, and any we have I used to send cards to my children, grandchildren, etc. I know. Makes no sense, but I do it anyways. Happy however for the Christmas message and all of the wonderful things that the true meaning of Christmas holds. so I try to cling to that and forget the rest! Love and hugs to you always. xoxo

Shug said...

I know exactly where you are coming from. I still have a mixture of Fall and Christmas decor in the house. Christmas season is such a struggle for so many people. My husband included. I agree Barb, so much materialism surrounds us all at Christmas and it seems to be getting even a bigger deal. I think of how simple Christmas was when I was a kid and I have so many memories of the simple times. Oh how nice it would be to see those kind of days again...

Kerin said...

Dear Barb,
Thank you for this sweet and honest post.
I too am struggling with December, esp. this year.
Of course I am grateful for this time of year; to focus on our Savior's birth and all that He does for us and His love for each one of us.
It's the cold and snowy weather, and our sweet Grand being so far away that has me feeling less than cheery.
I am resolved to count my blessings, and embrace the thrill of hope, and fully feel the Christmas spirit :)
Sending warm wishes, and Christmas cheer your way :)

~K.

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...