Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Getting my Ducks in a Row . . .


This little family of ducks have been living in our canal and along the canal bank all summer.  I love to go out at night and watch as the mother duck takes them for a swim . . . she really knows how to get her little ducks in a row!


They're quick so I can only get a photo of them from a distance, but they are so cute, and it has been fun watching them grow.


Yesterday we irrigated the pasture, and I thought the reflection looked so pretty as the sun was setting.  I can already tell that, Mother Nature is starting to change seasons.  The days are getting shorter, the nights are a little cooler, and I am finding more and more leaves on my lawn every day. School will be starting in another week or so, and it won't be too long before they are digging spuds.  I'm not quite ready for summer to end.  That said . . . I love Fall!

I have also noticed boxes of produce left on the table in the hall at church, mostly zucchini and spaghetti squash . . .  tis' the season, but how wonderful to have generous neighbors!  I've been so lucky to be able to get all the zucchini and produce I want from my son and his wife, who have a gorgeous garden.  


One night last week,  I made, Gina's, Zucchini Boats, and they were delicious!  Her recipe is a super good basic recipe that you can change around to make it your own.  I made a few changes, but it was basically the same.  I added a little more liquid, because mine looked a little dry.  If you like your zucchini a little softer, you could steam it beforehand, or even stick it in the microwave and cook it for a few minutes before stuffing it to soften it up.  I covered it with tin foil and cooked it about 10 extra minutes.   We had two boats left over so I put them in the microwave and reheated them the next night,  I think they were even better the second day!  


I highly recommend them!  Thank you for the recipe Gina!

Have a wonderful, Wednesday!!



Hugs and Love,

Barb

7 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hello, Barb!
I love your duck family.
They brought back a very special memory...
My dear Dad had a family of ducks right outside his window at his nursing home.
Oh, he loved to watch them!
Yes...noticing the earlier evenings and some subtle changes on the trees.
Fall is near!

Anonymous said...

Barb, your zucchini boats look so delicious! I'm glad you liked them!!

The sun setting is gorgeous. It looks like autumn is almost here.

Such sweet ducks! Made me think of the children's book "Ping"! xo

Marsha said...

How fun watching the mamma duck and her little ones grow as summer continued on.
Your photo of the sunset and the reflection in the pasture water is absolutely stunning. You really get some great sunset pictures.
Oh, those zucchini boats look so yummy. Zucchini is such a great summer treat.....you can put it in so many recipes.
Thanks for sharing everything - have a great week.

LeAnn said...

I love the little ducks in a row; so precious! Your Sunset photo is gorgeous. I may steal that one sometime. You are so good at capturing some beautiful scenes of nature. I like the changing seasons; but home it doesn't get cold to fast.
Your Zucchini boats looks so yummy; I must try to make them.
Love and hugs for you two! .

Cindy said...

That sunset photo is gorgeous! I don't want summer to end yet either but I'm not sure I'll be able to stop fall from coming. :)

Sue said...

The photos are beautiful Barb, I am also enjoying your music once again, you have such great taste in music! I love zucchini, this recipe looks so delicious, I am also thankful for great neighbors who share. Enjoy your weekend.
Blessings,
Sue

Saimi said...

Those ducks are so cute! My husband and I came across a little duck family as they were swimming is a little ditch bank while we were out riding. The mama duck flew out of the water and started limping away from her babies as if to draw us to her. She soon figured out we weren't a threat and went back to the water. The sunset is gorgeous. I'm not ready for summer to end either as I also start back to school next week. One more year of working and I'm retiring :)
I love your Zucchini recipe I'm gonna have to give it a try! Our farm neighbor is so sweet about sharing from his garden, when the zucchini comes in, I'm going to be making your yummy recipe!

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...