Monday, February 29, 2016

Swans and Kitchens . . .

On Saturday, we were driving to the big city, and drove past a big empty field near our home.  I'll bet there were 200, Trumpeter Swans in the field, just resting and eating.  I didn't have my camera, so a few days later, we were driving past the field again . . . and I was prepared!  There weren't as many, only about 50 or so, and they were a long ways off, so some of the photos are a bit fuzzy, but they were just beautiful!





That same day, we drove past a house that ALWAYS, does the most interesting things with big round bales of hay, this year was no exception, check out, Thomas the Train!  They have had minions and smiley faces and turkeys . . . very fun.



Every spring I get the urge to do "Spring Cleaning".  I figure if I get the urge, I better do it, because the urge may go away quickly . . . ;0)  So, today I decided to wash and clean all the cabinates in the kitchen and all the walls.   I took down the curtain on the window, and took everything off the the counter and scrubbed it and cleaned it as well.  Whew!  I still need to take everything out of the cupboards and organize and clean them, but that can wait until later this week.  It always makes me feel good to get a big job like that done.  

My very dark kitchen!  I should take pictures during the day!


Averi and Emily both gave me these cute Valentines pictures on Valentine's Day, I think they are so cute, I will keep them on my fridge for a long time, probably until next year!

When we moved into this house, there was a cupboard in the kitchen above the stairwell, that was seriously 4 feet deep.  It was such wasted space, because you had to almost climb into it to find anything.  When we remodeled the kitchen, I had them put a bookcase in that space, I can't tell you how much I love it!  It stores almost all of my cookbooks, and is just perfect for us.  It got a good cleaning as well.  I am always amazed how much I use these shelves.   I'm hoping the urge to clean doesn't go away for a day or two!


How do you do your spring cleaning?  Do you have a schedule, or do you just do it when the urge strikes you?  

Have a really awesome week!

XOXO


12 comments:

Nancy Chan said...

Barb, I love Thomas the smiling train! So nice of Averi and Emily to send you their cute valentine cards. I seldom schedule my spring cleaning, just follow the urge that comes.

Billie Jo said...

I love your kitchen!
And I too love a good deep cleaning, especially this time of year.
I have been tackling one smaller task a day during Lent.
One day I cleaned the top cupboards, one day I de cluttered and scrubbed the computer area...
Love that feeling!
Have a cozy week, my friend.

Shug said...

Good early morning Barb. I sure need some of your energy. Looks like you have a pretty good start on the Spring Cleaning duties....I always enjoy this time of the year, when everything gets put back in it's place and the house gets wiped down to pure cleanness. It's good for the soul. Some folks are so creative.....who would have thought of making a Thomas the Train out of rolls of hay? Someone with a creative mind and I'm pretty sure...a lot of little loves that hang around. This is really neat. Those swans are huge! Can you imagine lifting all that weight up in air? LOL. A whole lot of beauty right there. And now to your little valentines...PRECIOUS! Grand babies Just put the cherries on the top of life. Have a super great day....

Jill said...

Love all the swans, so pretty! That Thomas is awesome on the hay bails! My cleaning now is prompted by our big move, lol and then I will have to do it all over again in the new house :-)
Your kitchen is lovely. Have a great week!

Blessings,
Jill

Deb J. in Utah said...

The swan pictures are fun and you have a nice kitchen. Thanks for the inspiration to get going on my spring cleaning! Have a great week!

Marsha said...

Wow, my camera would have been so happy to have seen those swans.
Thomas the Train - so clever and cute.
Love the photos of Averi and Emily. Just looking at them give you joy.
Spring cleaning...........here I come. Thanks for putting the bug in my ear!

Vee said...

Cute grandgirlies on your fridge. I felt like cleaninf for two seconds and a half. I decided if I just sat here reading blogs the urge would pass and it did. Good for you! Your kitchen looks beautifully clean. (It also looks like a kitchen with good work flow.)

Vee said...

See? I can't even spell it!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Your granddaughters are so cute! And I love the swans!
I clean when the urge strikes. I love your kitchen, it looks so clean and fresh. I love white cabinets and sometimes wish mine were, but hubby would shoot me if I said I wanted to paint over the lovely oak wood! lol!
I've had some computer and internet problems so I have not kept up with blog reading as I'd like. Hope you're having a nice week!

Anonymous said...

I've been doing some spring cleaning, Barb. I really need to do my windows though...

Love the swans!

Marie Rayner said...

Your grandgirlies are just precious Barb. What a blessing for you! Loving Thomas the tank engine also. There is a farm back home that does similar things. I have to clean when the urge hits or it will disappear and not come back, lol. I LOVE YOUR KITCHEN! I wish I had one that size. All the magic in my kitchen happens in a 12 inch square of space. It can be frustrating at times! Love and hugs and blessings to you! xoxo

LeAnn said...

Ok, I hate to confess I don't do spring cleaning. I just do it at random times. With our mission I don't know if it will get done. My house actually needs a good cleaning. Wow, finding that many swans is amazing. I loved the pictures. The hay made into that creation is so cute. Loved the girls pictures. I love the pictures of your clean home. I am enjoying your more frequent blog posts. Hugs for you dear friend.

We've been Busy. . .

Hello!  How many of you celebrate, May Day?!  I can remember making May Day baskets in grade school, but I'm pretty sure it's someth...