Sunday, October 18, 2009

Tired of being Sick!!


It feels like I have been under the weather since September!  Now Bob has the "Bug".  It's not Swine Flu, thank goodness, but we are very sick of it.  I am just starting to feel better and Bob gets sick - It's just not fair!!  I guess we will be drinking hot lemon and honey tea and eating lots of chicken soup.  I even broke down and bought antibacterial hand soap (which I never do) in hopes that it would ward off some of the bugs. 

Tomorrow, I plan on opening all of the windows and airing out the house, change all of the pillow cases and wash all of the throws.   Mop all of the floors and disinfect all of the door knobs and counter tops.  Spray everything down with Lysol and try to get rid of whatever we keep catching! 

In the meantime, here's my recipe for Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup. This soup is so good!   It's a little more elaborate than just plain chicken soup - the evaporated milk makes it very creamy - you can use skim evaporated  milk if you want to.  I wish I had a picture to show you, it's heavenly!


Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup

2 cans chicken broth (14oz) I usually end up doubling this amount.  Sometimes I use a box of chicken stock.
1 T chicken bouillon (or 2 cubes)
1 c. carrots, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
1/2 med onion, chopped
16 oz. noodles, homestyle egg pasta (Country Pasta) or the frozen noodles or homemade if you are feeling ambitious! I have even used egg noodles.
1 1/2 lbs cooked, cooled, chopped chicken breast or 1 chicken cooked and cooled, bone and skin removed
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 12oz can evaporated milk

Boil the broth, bouillon, carrots, celery and onion for 20 minutes, or until tender. Add noodles and boil for another 10 minutes. (I actually cook the noodles first while the vegetables are boiling, so the noodles don't soak up all of the broth, but I do cook the noodles with a bouillon cube so they get some flavor. And then I add them.) Then add chicken, cream of chicken soup and canned milk. Heat thoroughly. Add pepper to taste.

Stay healthy!  Blessings, Barb

2 comments:

Karen Beth said...

I am so sorry you guys keep getting sick. Laura just called me and she is really sick. Her Bishop came over to their house Wednesday and said his family was sick. Then yesterday his family were all home with the swine flu, so Laura is afraid she got it. Thanks for the recipe, I am going to try it. Get well, love you.

The WIlloughby Family said...

YUCK! While I was in Boise Elisa was sick and then Ben called and said he came home early on Thurs. because he was sick and then I talked to him on Friday and both kids weren't feeling well. Ben is home again today because he ran a fever all night....dang virus!!! I too will be starting the disinfecting process!!!!!!

Happy Spring!

  Outside my window . . .  Two weeks ago this is what it looked like.  We had a  huge winter storm, and got 12 inches of new snow!  It was c...