Saturday, August 15, 2009

Simplicity

View from my window this morning

I have been thinking about how I live lately - probably the last six months or so. I think I can do a lot more to make my life more simple and pleasurable while I am on this earth, sharing it with so many others. Ideally, I would like to live on about 5 acres in the middle of nowhere. Just enough ground for a beautiful garden, a chicken coop, fruit trees, and an animal or two. Of course electricity would be a plus - and running water!

There are a couple of things I need to do first:

Cook more responsibly by making a shopping list and a menu - only go to the store once or twice a month.

Use and buy food storage with more thought and purpose.

Make my own cleaning products, like laundry soap, dish soap and other cleaners (I already do some of this and I have some good recipes).

Make my own hand soap.

Recycle more.

Learn to compost.

Next year, I will have chickens, only for eggs. I don't want to kill them unless I have to.

Use less gas.

Buy used when I can - I'm very spoiled.


These are just a few of the things that I need to work on - one day at a time. Now that I have said this - I guess I will have to live up to it! Please let me know your thoughts on this subject.

I wanted to share one of my spray cleaner recipes with you.
I used a quart size spray bottle. Mix together:

1 quart warm water
1 tsp. Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap
1 tsp. Borax (available in laundry section of most stores)
Squeeze or splash of lemon or vinegar
5-10 drops of Tea Tree oil (Melaleuca oil)
Mix it up and use it to clean about anything–counter tops, bathroom, etc. It costs practically nothing and is environmentally friendly.

You can buy Dr. Bronners at the health food store. I usually buy mine online at Swanson Health Products - I get my other vitamins there and shipping is pretty reasonable. You save about two dollars a bottle that way. But it lasts a very long time and is a wonderful all-purpose soap.

Have a wonderful week-end!

Love, Barb

1 comment:

The WIlloughby Family said...

YOu forgot to add that to add to that simple and pleasurable life you will need to spend lots and lots of time with your grand babies, I am more than willing to offer that at no expense!!! No seriously, THANK YOU THANK YOU for watching my babies tonight so Ben and I could spend a little alone time together, We love you guys! It was SO nice to have Chris home, I missed him!!

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...