Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Deodorant dilema . . . life can sometimes be the pits!

I don't know about you, but my deodorant is the pits, and it's not working on my pits either!!  I have tried several brands, and they just don't seem to keep the stinky away - I like smelling sweet!

I have read lots of negative things about antiperspirants, especially the ones with aluminum in them, and have been contemplating for a long time about making my own deodorant.  I love coconut oil and use it all the time for cooking.  I could go on and on about the health benefits of coconut oil - it's so good for you!   This is a very easy recipe, but there are many different ones out there if you do a little research, some easy, some not so easy! 

Here's the recipe I'm trying, it's very basic:

Homemade Deodorant

1/8 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot powder (I used cornstarch because that's what I had on hand)
5 Tbsp. coconut oil
Essential oils (optional)  - I used 5 drops of a citrus blend essential oil and three drops of Tea Tree Oil. 

Mix everything together in a bowl with a fork, it really does mix up quite easily.  Then transfer it to a small container.  I know  that in some places it is so warm that your coconut oil will not solidify, so just make sure it is in a container with a tight fitting lid so it does not leak, or better yet, put it in the fridge!  Just use as you normally use  your deodorant - put it on with your fingers.




It's very creamy and goes on easily - although I would be careful with light colored clothing - just make sure that you are not using too much, and wash your hands after you apply it.

I am going to give you updates each day for a week on my experience with this homemade concoction - wish me  luck!!


*****************************

Okay - yesterday was day one for me . . . it was wonderful!!  I put the deodorant on right after I made it, of course I washed first.... :0)  Absolutely no odor, no wetness, nothing, it was perfect!!  I even woke up feeling fresh as a daisy!

Day two - It has been hot here, and we were in a meeting today, in a very hot room for almost three hours!  No odor (I had my poor husband do a sniff test... ;0) )  I really love this stuff so far!  It's 96 degrees here today, so if it is NOT going to work, I think I would know it by now!


Hugs!

9 comments:

RoeH said...

I still by the stuff but I have a friend who is allergic to it. She might be interested in this recipe. Honestly. The things we have to do in life! :)

Vee said...

Now this is fascinating and just goes to prove that bloggers will tackle any subject. ☺ This sounds like something my daughter would try as she tends to be allergic to things.

Unknown said...

It does work really well. I never smelled when I was using it. I had to stop because I got really dry and red. I don't know why but as soon as I stopped that went away. My recipe was just coconut oil and baking soda.

Unknown said...

I forgot to say I've been thinking of just trying coconut oil alone. I don't sweat much.

Kimmie said...

Aluminium in deodorants burn my sensitive skin. I don't perspire much but live in a tropical climate. I am always on the look out for natural deodorants that are gentle and most importantly work. Will try this recipe for sure. Thank you so much.

Not sure if you saw this post of mine (link below) a new Aussie singer for you that I think you may like with a nice story surrounding my posting re her.

http://theserendipitycafe.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/im-back-nothings-real-but-love.html


Hugs n love as always!

Mwah


Kimmie
x

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Barb, I'm glad you've found a solution to your problem! I don't have any problem in this area but I will copy the recipe and try it out anyway. It's got to be much better for us than the store bought stuff. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Hugs, Cheryl

Sue said...

Thanks for this recipe for deodorant, Barb, I have been anting to try it. I am like you coconut oil is the best thing I have found lately, I use it in cooking, it has now become my face creme, and body lotion. I absolutely would not be without it. Thanks for sharing,
Enjoy your day.
Hugs,
Sue

Vickie said...

Me, too, Barbara - especially in the summer-time. I've been hearing good things about coconut oil. I'll have to try this, too, and see how it works for me. Where do you get coconut oil? At the grocery store?

LeAnn said...

Oh my gosh, I just was reading about the aluminium in deodorant again for more than one time. I have been using deodrants that don't have that in; but they don't really work and I like you want to smell good all the time. I am going to try this one.
Also, don't drink your pop in cans because you can get the aluminium toxins from that.
I do think we have been eternal friends we think so much a like.
Hugs and love to you!

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...