Wednesday, March 19, 2014

A Wake-Up Call . . .



Oh my goodness, how things can change in a week!  Last Wednesday, my husband and I were in the hospital ER because he was having chest pains, it was a very scary day!  He spent the night in the hospital for observation, and everything seemed to be alright.  He had more tests yesterday, and tomorrow the doctor will tell us the results; I'm praying that everything is okay, but, what a wake-up-call for both of us!! 

It seems that most of the time, I just go through life not really thinking about the bad things that can happen, and I forget that this life is very fragile and needs to be handled with care.  This thing we call life, can be a little scary at times.

My new goal is to find more peace and more time, so that we can both do some of the things that we want to do, not just the things that need to be done, or that someone else wants us to do.  Of course there are the everyday things that need to be done, but we all need to find more peace and time for ourselves.

The first thing I am going to do is Simplify!  Here are a few ideas:

Use a limited to-do list. Only 2 or 3 of the most important things should be on your to-do list.   Sometimes, mine looks like a novel, with no hope of ever finishing it! 

Set limits. Set time limits for daily checking of in-boxes, Facebook, e-mail, blogs, and other social media.  Sometimes, I spend hours checking social media, when in reality, it should only take me  less than 1 hour.  There are some social media apps that will be deleted!

Set time limits for small decisions and make them within seconds after you have thought about them to avoid procrastination and over-thinking. 

Set a limit for commitments and say "no" a little more often.  I know I would feel less stress and it would produce better health results if I said "no", to those things that I don't really need to do. 

Remember to “keep things extremely simple”.  I'm going to write this sentence where I can see it as a daily reminder that will help me when I lose my way. 

Blogging is one of those things that I, unfortunately, have put on the side-lines.  I plan on making more time for blogging, and for a few of the other things in life that I enjoy so much!  This will not be easy, life changes never are!

Hugs to all!



7 comments:

Shug said...

Bless your hearts....I know that your minds have been filled with much anxiety these past two weeks. You are so right Barb. we all need to slow down and simplify. I tell myself this all of the time, that I need to slow down and make my life simple, but for some reason...I keep hanging on to that fast spinning merry-go-round. I am praying and trusting that tomorrows news will render nothing but GOOD, POSITIVE, results. Thinking of you. big hugs...

LeAnn said...

Oh my gosh dear friend; I do hope Bob will be OK. I loved this post because I have been thinking a lot about what I do with my time. I really need to simplify and you blogged just what I really need to do. I will anxious to know how the tests turn out. Meanwhile, we will pray for you both and put your names of the prayer roll.
Prayers, love and blessings for you both!
I can relate to how scary this is; since we have been through it.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

What a scare! I'm praying that your hubby gets good results! I also am trying to learn to simplify. I'm learning to say no and that's a big help.
Let us know how tomorrow goes. Will be thinking of you. (((hugs)))

RoeH said...

I don't keep a 'to-do' list and never did. I just do things as they come. Or not do them. Depending on what mood I'm in. If I simplify my life anymore than it is, I'll be dead. :) Very hopeful that your husband gets GOOD RESULTS back. Scary thing to go through.

Kerin said...

My goodness Barb.. what a scary thing!! Hoping that your husband is feeling 100% better now, and that his test results come back with good news!!
I like your attitude... to simplify things and focus on the things that really matter in life. I'm inspired by your list of changes.

Keep us posted about your husbands health, and know that we are all including you in our prayers.

~K.

Anonymous said...

Oh Barb, I can only imagine how frightening you and your husband's ER visit was. I am glad that is ok and I hope that the test come back soon and the results good. I love your goals. Keeping you all in prayer...

Vee said...

Oh that would be scary. You may be the first gal I have ever known to say that she would be giving more time to blogging.

Happy Spring!

  Outside my window . . .  Two weeks ago this is what it looked like.  We had a  huge winter storm, and got 12 inches of new snow!  It was c...