Monday, November 5, 2012

My Daybook . . .


FOR TODAY  November 5, 2012

Outside my window... The sun is shining, there is a slight breeze, a few clouds in the sky, and it's a very balmy . . . 48 degrees!

I am thinking... about my father.  He passed away 28 years ago, on my mother and father's wedding anniversary, which happened to be on Halloween.  We buried him on his birthday, which is today.  Happy birthday daddy. . . I love you.


This is a picture of my mom and dad, not too long before he passed away.  They were at their cabin, their favorite place in the world, you can see it in the background, they loved it there!  My dad had cancer in his neck, and had some nerve damage from when they tried to remove it, so he could't smile without being a little lop-sided, he hated that!  He was such a handsome man. 

This is a picture of my dad when he was in the Navy . . . so young!

 I am  also thinking of my sweet Aunt, my father's sister, Neta Miller.  She passed away yesterday, at the tender age of 97.  What a beautiful and sweet woman she was, I loved her so much.  She will be missed by so many who loved her.  But what a wonderful reunion she will be having with her loved ones on the other side!!


I am thankful... Well, it is the month to,  "be thankful"!  I love the saying:

"Be forever thankful, for life gives you much"

In the kitchen... I'm making bread - I think I have posted the recipe  before, but here it is again.  Yumm, I can smell it cooking!

 White Bread

2 1/2 cups very warm water
1 Tbls yeast (I use regular, not fast rise)
3 Tbls sugar
1 Tbls salt
2 Tbls shortning (I use coconut oil)
7-7 1/2 cups flour (I have used half whole wheat and half white)

Combine water, yeast and sugar - mix well and let sit for about 10 min.  Add salt, and shortning (or oil), mix well.  Slowly add flour until, kneading well after each addition - dough should be soft, but not sticky, and not too stiff.   Let rise until double.  Make into two loaves.  Let rise until about 1 inch above pan.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes, then turn over to 350 and bake for another 10-15 minutes until done. 

I am wearing... Jeans and a comfy, baggy brown shirt! 

I am creating... Some surprises for Christmas!

I am going... to go to DUP (Daughters of Utah Pioneers) today at 1:00.

I am wondering... Who the next president will be  . . . ?

I am reading... A fascinating book called, "The Hatbox Baby", by Carrie Brown.  I love her writing style!

I am hoping... That Bob catches some fish today.  He went fishing with his brother this morning, and I would love to have fresh fish for dinner!

I am looking forward to... Spending some time with my daughter tomorrow, helping her decorate a bulletin board at the hospital. 

A favorite quote for today...

The hardest thing to learn in life is which bridge to cross and which to burn. 

Around the house... Always something to do around the house!  Today, I'm not doing much... :0)

One of my favorite things... Birthday parties, and flowers for my birthday!  Thanks kids, I love you!



A few plans for the rest of the week:

Tuesday - Of course I will be voting!!
Wednesday - Bob is having surgery on his hand - so we will be at the hospital!
Thursday - Aunt Neta's funeral
Friday - Do everything I didn't get done on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday!
Saturday - Hopefully relax
Sunday - Church

Fun pictures to share... Nuff said!





A grandmother pretends she doesn't know who you are on Halloween! 
~Erma Bombeck~

 Warm Hugs,

 

More fun daybooks here:  http://thesimplewomansdaybook.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

RoeH said...

What a beautiful post! I loved the photos of your parents. And your aunt is so gorgeous. I think we get more beautiful as we get older. At least I sure hope so. I've already voted. I hate standing in line for anything so I love early voting. I'm hoping it goes well. We are having stake conference this coming Sunday and I have to play the organ for it. It was down yesterday. Or at least the battery parts were down. Interesting playing around that problem. I told them I hoped it would be fixed for next Sunday or that's not going to work well at all. Take care.

Vee said...

Ahhh, don't all pirates make sure that Tigger doesn't bounce away? Love that photo!

Your mood is understandably reflective today. First, my sympathies on the loss of a beloved aunt. Your daddy was a handsome man. One can see that in both his younger and older picture. You look like one of those combination children...one who gets her looks from her mama with some of her dad, too.

Sounds as if you will have a busy week. Many blessings to you as you go through it.

The WIlloughby Family said...

I wish I could have known grandpa better. He looks like my kind of man, I love him even if I never knew him!well. I am sure he would have stolen my heart as a girl! Love you!

Arlene said...

I detect some melancholy as you reflect on your loved ones who have gone to be with Jesus. It's bittersweet to say goodbye even though they are better off than we are. Your father was a very handsome man. You look a lot like your mom :).

I laughed when I read "balmy 48 degrees". Here in South Florida, that's bitter cold!

The flowers are beautiful, and oh those grandkids! They are so sweet!

I hope everything goes well with the hand surgery. Sounds like you have quite a hectic week. God bless you Barb, may the Lord fill you with His Spirit and His comfort as only He can.

Unknown said...

Sorry about your aunt. She looked wonderful for 97. Your dad was a handsome guy. I dream about my parents once in a while, it brings back the grief a little. I'm trying to focus on what I have and not on what i don't have, being thankful for the many blessings.

Marge said...

Hi Barb, Your Dad surely was a handsome fella. So sorry for your loss. I hope she had a happy life. She looks so young and happy. I'm sure you will really miss her!
The grandkids look so cute in their costumes. Hope the had lots of fun and got lots of goodies. Your hubby is in my prayers on Weds. Enjoy the rest of your week. Hugz!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Your dad was handsome. Sweet memories of him.

Thaks for the bread recipe. I love the smell of baking bread.

Sounds like your week is a busy one.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Barb! You had a birthday recently? Well, a belated Happy Birthday to you!! Your flowers are beautiful!

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like your sweet aunt lived a long and good life. I know she will be missed very much.

Your daddy was a handsome man! I see a bit of both your parents in you. I was always told I looked like my mother, but I couldn't see it.

Your grands are so cute in their costumes. I bet they had a blast!

Hope all goes well with your hubby Wed. I'll say a prayer. Also am praying for the election tomorrow and for our country's future.

Take care, Barb, it sounds like you have a lot of things going on. Hope you get to relax Saturday!

LeAnn said...

I am always so happy to read your posts. I loved the pictures of your dear father. He really died young. He was a handsome man.
It is always sad to have a dear Aunt pass away. I have a dear Aunt who turned 99 in September and I can't bare the thought of her passing away. We have become very close since I moved back to Utah.
Your Halloween pictures are so cute. You have such cute little ones.
I just spent the evening with yours and our children isn't that awesome. We had such a good time. I think Christian grows an inch or two every time we come up he is taller. Taylor Jo and Averi are just so precious. We are so blessed.
I hope you can kind of celebrate your Birthday at the hospital with your dear husband. I will be praying his surgery goes well.
Maybe tomorrow we should find some time to visit over the phone. I wish we could get together.
We came up to be with Travis for the election. I am praying he will win.
Blessings, love, hugs and give Bob a hug from us. We will be praying for him.
Hugs!

Kerin said...

Good morning sweet Barb...
Thinking of you this day, and of your sweetheart, I hope that the surgery goes well, and Bob is on the mend soon.

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet aunt.
I just know that she is on the other side, giving out hugs :)

I can tell that you still miss your Dad so much.
He was a good looking fellow, and seems from what you've posted, that he was a man with a heart of gold too.

My Dad's been gone almost 10 yrs... and I know that no matter how long it's been, I will miss him always.

Loved seeing the picture of your sweet grands... they are so cute!!

Thinking of you this week, and keeping you in my prayers...

love,
K.

Online High School Diploma said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Just Ramblin' said...

Loved seeing the picture of your father. He looks like a kind man.Also, sorry about your sweet aunt. She is also a beautiful lady. The flowers are beautiful and I love the bright and cheery colors. Cute, cute grandkids! How empty life would be without them. They certainly add to my life and I know they do yours. It is always fun to read your daybook. Thanks for sharing. Nola

Kathy said...

Hi Barb, I enjoyed reading your post. Sorry about your Aunt! And happy belated birthday! Thanks for sharing your wonderful pics! What a great family!

Anonymous said...

A belated happy happy birthday, Barb! Such pretty flowers and I LOVE the Halloween pictures of the kids. You parents look so sweet.

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...