Sunday, December 3, 2017

Snow and Traditions. . .

We woke up last week to a very gloomy snowy day, we got about an inch of new snow...but I really did love it, I always love our first real snowfall of December!  In fact, it's snowing right now!


I couldn't venture too far away from home to get photos, but I did love the pretty snow in my own backyard.  When I first got up and looked out the back door, all I saw was white snow, and a few little kitty prints going across the patio...I wish they would catch some mice!

Today when I went to church it was very nice outside, almost warm...now the wind is blowing and I think we are going to get some more snow tonight.  I hope it melts before I have to drive my  husband to his Dr. appointment.  I don't like to drive on slick roads!

I don't have my Christmas decorations up yet and it's just bothering me!  I need to get my fall decorations down and get working on it.  Here are a few cute ideas that I would just love to do for Christmas...we'll see how far I get!

I love the idea of burlap ribbon on a Christmas tree.  I love the simplicity of burlap, and I think it's so pretty.  I have some cute pine-cone ornaments that would look cute with the burlap.  Now, getting my tree upstairs will be the hard part.  I might have to have my daughter come help me... ;0)


Today in my Sunday School class one of the boys told me that just last night they put their shoes out.  I guess it's a German tradition, and his mom is German. I don't think he had wooden shoes, but he said he got a fun present in his shoes.   I thought it was so sweet, and it started me thinking about my own Christmas traditions.


We usually have all of our children here for Christmas Eve.  We have dinner, we eat, then we eat, and of course we eat again.  The kids play and then play some more.  We visit, we laugh, sometimes we cry.  Then we open gifts and send them home so they can do their own thing as...Santa.  We have decorated cookies in the past, and that was fun, but messy.  We like to have our party early in the day so if it is snowy they can play outside in the snow.  But, this year with Christmas Eve on Sunday, we will probably just stay inside and try to be a little more low key.

Since my DNA tells me I am mostly British and Welch, I would like to have a traditional British/Welch Christmas this year.  When I started looking at their traditions, I realized that they are really the same as mine.  Most of my ancestors where British/Welsh and Swedish, so those traditions were already being passed down.

One that I thought would be fun, that I have never done, was to have my grandchildren write a letter to Santa, asking for what they would like for Christmas, then throw it in the fire, so their wishes could go up the chimney.   If it isn't too cold outside, it would be fun to do it over a bon fire.  We could even toast marshmallows.

I would also like to make, Christmas Crackers, I think they are so cute, and would be fun for my grands and my big kids.  These aren't the traditional shape, but I think they would do for my Christmas Crackers.  Just think of the possibilities, you could do so much with these cute little crackers - money, small toys a favorite candy, movie tickets, etc.  I better start saving toilet paper rolls!


Some of the Traditional Welch ideas are so similar to English traditions, but some of them are a little out there like...Maro llwyd - 

"The Maro Lwyd was the name given to a decorated horse's skull, which was part of a New Year’s ritual in 19th century Wales. The skull would be decorated with bells and draped in a white sheet before being placed on top of a wooden pole. The figure would then be carried from door to door by a group challenging others to a battle of Welsh verse. This tradition still takes place today in some parts of the country."

I think people here in Idaho would think I had lost my marbles!  That one will have to wait.  But, Christmas caroling would be so fun!  Doesn't it make you wonder how some of those traditions got started?

The Welsh tradition of "taffy" pulling is one I love . . . Molasses Taffy!  I remember pulling taffy at home.  This would be a fun and yummy activity for everyone.


Molasses Pull Taffy Recipe
Ingredients:
  • ½ cup Crosby’s Fancy Molasses
  • 1 ½ cups sugar
  • 1 ½ Tbsp. vinegar
  • ½ cup water
  • ¼ tsp. cream of tartar
  • ¼ cup butter
  • 1/8 tsp. baking soda
Instructions:
  1. In a heavy bottomed pot, combine molasses, sugar, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring often, until mixture reaches 255 F (or when a small amount dropped in cold water turns hard).
  2. Remove from heat and add butter, cream of tartar and baking soda. Pour onto a buttered, sided cookie sheet.
  3. When cool enough to handle, pull pieces of taffy until light in color. (Butter hands before pulling).
  4. Twist and cut into 1” pieces. Wrap in parchment paper.
Wassail, now that is one I love!  Drinking from the wassail bowl was a lucky New Year's tradition in Wales.  Who doesn't love wassail?!  This idea is so good because you can send it home with them as a special treat for Christmas Day!

From Larissa at,  Just another day in Paradise

Homemade Wassail Mix 

1-20 oz container of Tang
1/3 cup Country Time Lemonade mix
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger


Combine all ingredients...mix it up really well.  Put in cute containers and give as a gift, or enjoy for yourself.  Add 2 tablespoons to hot water and enjoy!

Wow, it looks like I better start getting ready for Christmas . . .  ;0)

Have a wonderful week!!

Hugs and Love,
Barb

9 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Hello Barb!
I loved your post this cozy Sunday evening.
I am envious of your snow!
Nothing here yet...I need a bit to get into the Christmas mood!!!
I agree with you, though. Just enough to be pretty. But not too much to make the roads bad.
I enjoyed hearing how you spend Christmas Eve with your family.
As my children get older, I am beginning to think about how our Christmas traditions will change.
And...I get sad.
But hearing about how you celebrate gives me comfort!
Thank you, my friend. : )

Cindy said...

You have such great Christmas traditions! My ancestors are mainly English and Irish and now you've got me curious about our traditions!

Saimi said...

I love this post Barb!! First off, how magical to have a snow fall, but you guys live in Idaho and you'll get plenty of it I'm sure which is fine for Christmas but I agree snow is all well and good if you don't have to go anywhere. Hope the roads will be good for you. Your Christmas traditions sound wonderful and I'm super excited to try your Wassail recipe. I think I'm going to use that for gifts for the neighbors along with some homemade bread.. I'm Finnish and never thought to see what traditions they have but ours are changing now that the kids are older. This year we are going to go skiing for a half day on Christmas then come home for dinner and game night. A tradition I now have for the past 5 years is seeing the grand boys for a week of my vacation. That's not going to change any time soon haha.
Stay warm and cozy and get busy on your decorations!

Anonymous said...

Barb, I wish I lived close enough to visit you any day but especially over the holidays. Your Christmas Eve sounds wonderful as do all your holiday ideas. ♥

LeAnn said...

Oh my sweet friend, I loved reading this one. I think it is awesome you got your DNA and are looking for the traditions of your ancestors. It's so fun. I love that you have a Christmas Eve Tradition. I feel sad we don't have children near enough to do that one. Of course, this year we will be in Hawaii with Christina and family so it will be real different this year. I am very traditional in many ways so being away will be a touch hard.
We do have a Christmas party before Christmas with the children that can be here. We always have the grandchildren do the Nativity with costumes. Now it is our great grandchildren. It has been a number of years since we have had more than just our oldest son's family. Maybe next year we can expand.
Thanks for sharing all the fun ideas from your ancestors and even the recipes; that is awesome. Sending loving Christmas Season thoughts your way with alots of hugs!

Kristin_Texas said...

Snow in the countryside.... my absolute dream/vision to see in person. I can't even imagine. (Thankfully, it finally cooled off where I live. It was 86 yesterday but today it's 56, which is so much better. If only it would last!) I really love seeing those barns in that snowy setting.

I guess it's pretty obvious I have tunnel vision with this post. lol! It's all about the snow.

Kristin

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I loved this post, Barb! It was fun to see all the ideas and reading about your Christmas traditions. I haven't begun decorating yet and I'm going to be scaling back this year. At least that is what I plan, but when I get the totes out, I may change my mind! Your snow looks so pretty and it would help to put one in a Christmas frame of mind. Until today it's been pretty mild weather-wise here and just didn't seem like Christmas yet. Have a great week and have fun decorating! Hugs, Cheryl

Marsha said...

Bard....I hope all your wishes and dreams for new traditions come true. Sounds like you will be having a blessed Holiday Season.
My daughter is giving us the DNA tests as a Christmas present. Hmmmm, what am I? Will be fun to find out.
Take care, my friend - Marsha

Marsha said...

Barb...do you like your new name, "Bard"? I noticed that after I pushed publish. I tried to go in and edit but it wasn't happening. Sorry.
Also, I'm going to try your wassail mix recipe. Sounds Yummy.
Marsha

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...