Thursday, October 19, 2017

Snow Days in October . . . ??


"The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?"
~J. B. Priestley~

Well, enchantment might not be the word I would use in this situation, and there weren't any actual, school snow days, but, there were a few, snowy days!  Last Saturday we woke up to 4 inches of snow!!  Yes, it was beautiful, for those who didn't lose branches off their trees, or have branches fall on their cars... :0/ 



We had to go to my daughter's house on Saturday, and I took this photo right around the corner from her home!   There were so many broken branches. and trees just hanging down with loaded with snow, it was a sad sight. 


This is just one small corner of my daughter's yard.  The poor branches just couldn't hold the weight of the 6-8 inches of snow they received.  This was the scene all over in her area.  In some places, huge branches were laying in the yards, over fences and on the road.


Another photo of an overloaded, droopy tree!


This was my Yard.  We didn't get as much snow as my daughter, but still more than we wanted, seeing how the trees still have green leaves on them!

Today it is suppose to get to 70 degrees, and then a storm front will move in for tomorrow, bringing gusty winds up to 30 mph and colder temperatures.  My husband is busy gathering leaves that have finally started to fall off the trees...and he will do it again in a few days...poor guy, thank goodness for the sweeper we have on the lawn mower! 

I'm not sure I'm ready for snow this early, but I am grateful for the moisture that it brought with it, we always need water.

Yesterday, after visiting my mother, my sister and I went to a wonderful little restaurant and had, tomato-basil tomato soup with warm bread, it was scrumpdillyicious!   Here is a yummy recipe for a version we like.  Enjoy!


Creamy Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese “Croutons”
Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish (optional)

  • For the grilled cheese croutons
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 slices bread
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened
  • 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • Heat olive oil in a grill pan over medium-high heat. Spread 1/2 tablespoon butter over 1 side of each bread slice. Turn the slices over and top 2 slices with cheddar and pleace remaining 2 slices of bread on top, buttered sides up. Add sandwich to pan and grill until the bread is golden and the cheese is melted, about 2-3 minutes per side. Let cool for 1 minute and cut into 1-inch cubes.

  • Heat olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and bay leaf and cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and mash, using a potato masher, until broken down into smaller pieces. Stir in heavy cream and brown sugar. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 8-10 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Puree with an immersion blender. Stir in vegetable broth until heated through, about 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with “croutons”, garnished with parsley. 
  • Enjoy!


Stay safe friends!!
Hugs and Love,
Barb

8 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my! All that snow.... and so early! Reminds me of when I lived in Ohio and I didn't like it at all. It's still warm here in the South 70's or higher and I'm loving it and enjoying it as long as I can. Though it doesn't feel like fall either though. The recipe for tomato soup sounds delicious, that is one of my husband's favorite meals. Thank you so much for your support and kind words on my blog in regards to losing my mom. It really means a lot to me. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Jill

Saimi said...

That snow is crazy!!! My daughter in law posted a funny video of their over sized puppy playing and romping in the snow. Its the first time she's seen snow and was having a ball! So sad about the tree branches falling, they put a new twist in the word Fall :0 We had some insane wind yesterday and some more predicted tomorrow. It even blew some shingles off of our roof, I'm pretty sure we don't live in Kansas but if I didn't know better I'd think we did haha! The soup recipe looks delish!!!
Have a great weekend Barb!!
Hugs to you
Saimi

Vee said...

Nature is full of rotten tricks and snowfall on leaf-filled trees is one of them. Hope that there’s a return to normal soon! I enjoyed a delicious (i like your word better) bowl of tomato soup at Panera last week. Yummo! Thanks for the recipe.

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

The snow was beautiful. But so sad about those tree branches on the cars. My goodness. I know winter is coming but sometimes it is still a shock to see the snow like that this early.

Love and hugs for your week.

Billie Jo said...

Oh my goodness!!!!
The snow!!!!
And thank you for that delicious sounding recipe...
I have shared it with Peyton and we are sure to try it soon.
Our weather is finally autumn like here.
Hard to believe we are nearing the end of October!!!
Have a cozy evening, my dear friend. : )

Sue said...

WOW! snow in October, Barb, the photos are spectacular, snow is pretty but it can do a lot of damage.
My dh has a sweeper too, and don't know what he would do without it.
I love tomato basil soup , thanks for the recipe.. Have a blessed weekend.
Blessings,
Sue

LeAnn said...

Wow, that is an early snowstorm. It must have been a very wet heavy snow to cause that much damage with so few inches. The photos were lovely. I like to look at snow but not necessarily go out in.
We made a quick trip up to see Ethan's football game and then we did get lunch with James and Amber. I love being with our kids. They are so awesome.
As we left the front was coming in and the wind was bad. Roger had a hard time keeping the car on the road. Our weather these days is pretty fickle.
Thanks for sharing the cream tomato soup recipe. Tomato Soup and toasted cheese is one of my biggest comfort foods.
Loved your comments on my post and I love you much! I wish we would have had more time to see you all.
We will be up again. Love you much! Hugs~

Madison said...

Hi, Barb! Mmm I have never tried to make homemade tomato soup before! This sounds delicious - especially with the grilled cheese! Thanks for sharing this recipe! <3

Leap Day . . .

  I need to hurry and get this post up before tomorrow! Outside My Window... It's a very gray 29th of February, and we are expecting a s...