Friday, September 1, 2017

The Great Zucchini Bread Thief . . . and the Recipe . . .

Yesterday, I decided to get busy and make some Zucchini bread with some of the wonderful zuccini that my gracious son and his wife share with us.  It was delicious!  I doubled the recipe, so I got three huge loafs and 6 small loafs.



This is the recipe I used, it's from, Cookies and Cups:

Autumn Bread

2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons real vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour (I just used white)
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup carrots grated
1/2 cup mashed banana
3/4 cup nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  spray two 9x5 loaf pans with cooking spray and line with parchment paper, and spray again with cooking spray.

In a large bowl stir together the sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder until smooth.

Next, stir in both flours until just combined.  Finally stir in the zucchini, carrots, banana and nuts until combined.

Divide the batter between the 2 pans.

Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minuted and then using the parchment paper, lift out of the pans to cool completely.

So, that evening, we were going to my sons, to again, glean from his wonderful garden.  So I wrapped up a  loaf of zucchini bread to give to them, and headed out the door. We came home with a car load of zucchini, spaghetti squash, peppers, tomatoes and corn.  They are so generous!




These flowers were just too pretty to not have their picture taken.  I'm not sure what they are,  and Diana didn't know either, as they were already there when they bought their home.  These blossoms are truly as big as saucers!  So gorgeous!  Does anyone know what they are? 


It was getting dark, and because they were sharing with my daughter as well, who lives close by, we dropped a box full of produce off at her house, where we also picked up a, Keifer start . . . yum!  I'll talk more about that in another post.

Of course while we were there . . . I just had to peek in at this cute, sleeping boy, soooo sweet!  


Then we headed home.  I walked into the kitchen and to my surprise, the plate that the small loafs of zucchini bread were on, was on the floor, minus the zucchini bread, and the bag that had a huge loaf of Zucchini bread in it was on the floor as well . . . empty, eaten!!  Crumbs all over the floor, a big mess, I was horrified!  

My sweet Cole dog, was standing there looking at me like . . ."I DID NOT do this!!!"  His ears were pinned back and he was just  hanging his head, looking so sad, all the while, looking over his shoulder at something behind him.  I knew that he didn't do it, as he has never, ever tried to take food off  the counter or table.  As I was cleaning up the mess, I heard a noise and saw a movement in the dining room.  I have to admit, I was a little more than scared stiff, but I put on my brave face and went to check it out. To my horror, I saw . . . another dog in my house, eeekkkk!!  I almost wet my pants!!  He sauntered over to me like I was his owner - at least he was friendly . . . but, HE ate my zucchini bread!! But, I'm pretty sure that, Cole, had his share once it was on the floor . . . once out of the bag, it was probably fair game . . .  :-/

Let me back up just a bit . . . when we left that evening, I left the patio door opened, but  the screen door was shut, (not sure why I did that, I never leave the door open!), and it looked like the other dog had torn through the screen to get inside.  The dog had tags, so I called his owner, who was actually kind of put out after I told her what had happened!  She only lived about 4 miles away, so she hurried over to get her dog, who was a, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever mix, named, M.J., and was a very large dog!  Of course, she didn't offer to pay for the screen door...oh well, lesson learned. NEVER, leave a door opened when you leave the house!!  

I wish I would have had taken pictures, but to tell you the truth, I was just too mortified!

Guess I better go make more zucchini bread...

Have a great week-end, and a safe, Labor Day - and keep saying prayers for Texas.


Hugs and Love,

Barb

5 comments:

Billie Jo said...

Barb!!!
Oh my goodness!!!
I would have screamed to the high Heavens!!!!
Bless your soul!!!
In any case, your bread looks amazing...
Sorry you lost it to a thief!
I hope you have a cozy day and time to make more. : )

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad you had to deal with that robbing dog, but this is also so funny too!! So glad he was a nice dog and didn't hurt you or your dog!! Wow, that was a close one!!

Your bread both looks and sounds amazing! I've got to make some soon...

How wonderful that your son shares his garden bounty with you, homegrown is the best!

Take care and I hope you have a wonderful day and weekend!

Sue said...

Ohh! Barb this story is almost to funny to believe, I can only imagine how horrified you were! My guess is that the owner is probably not looking after her sweet dog, I laughed when you told of Cole's ears being pinned back!
Your zucchini bread looks so yummy, thanks for sharing your recipe! My Mom and I are always sharing things too!
You are so blessed to have your family near you, and I always enjoy seeing children having books to read.
Have a blessed and happy Labor Day weekend. thank you for your sweet and thoughtful comment!
Blessings,
Sue

Cindy said...

Oh no!! After all that work to make that bread... and the owner didn't even offer to pay for the broken door?! Wow. That's too bad. Well, I'm glad you had a good time visiting with your son and family.

LeAnn said...

Wow, the zucchinni bread looks so delicious. I can almost smell it from here. Thank you for the awesome recipe too.
I enjoyed all the beautiful photos and I can see graphics in the making. How fun to get such wonderful produce from your son's garden.
I didn't like the story of the dog; it was way scary! I would have screamed for sure. I think it is sad then owners of animals won't take responsiblity for the damage they may cause. At least, you didn't have to punish your sweet dog. He was an innocent victum not the quilty one.
Hope you have had a sweet Labor Day celebration my dear friends. Love you much!

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...