Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Grandma Taylor's Chili Sauce

Chili sauce cooking on the stove - it makes your house smell delightful!!


I've gotten a lot of requests for my Grandma Taylor's Chili Sauce recipe that I talked about on another post. I just got done making a batch, so I thought I would share the recipe with everyone.

Grandma Taylor, was a wonderful cook. I can't remember knowing her, as she passed away when I was very small. I do remember bits and pieces, like standing at her bread board and having her hand me something, I'm not sure what it was, but no doubt something tasty and wonderful and full of love. I also remember her dress and apron. I remember sitting on a big chair, I was sitting on the arm of the chair and grandma had her arm around me.

I wish I would have known her. My father loved her very much. When he was in the service he would write to her every week - she saved every letter he wrote to her in a shoe box. My mother still has the shoe box full of letters.

From what I have been told, she was a very quiet, unassuming woman who didn't like to be out of her element. She loved her yard and her garden. She loved her home and her family. She loved cooking for them and keeping her house meticulous. She was a wonderful cook and would always have something wonderful cooking on the stove. She didn't cook with anything fancy - just ordinary food; ham and beans, meat and potatoes, soups and stews, homemade bread and biscuits. Food from her garden and eggs from her chickens. She canned lots of fruits and vegetables for the winter. In fact, when my grandfather passed away, I can remember cleaning out his basement and finding jars of food that she had canned - she had been gone for over 20 years!! The jars were the old fashion canning jars with rubber seals and wires that you pulled up over them to seal the jar. I love my grandmother - I can't wait to see her again! Anyway, here's the recipe:

Grandma Taylor's Chili Sauce

8 Quarts of chopped, ripe tomatoes (peeled or unpeeled)
6 chopped green peppers (I use 4 large peppers)
3 c. chopped onion
2 1/2 c. sugar (white or brown)
1/3 c. salt
2 c. vinegar
1 tsp each; black pepper, cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg, allspice and curry powder
1/2 to 1 tsp ceyanne pepper or red dried chili peppers

Put all of the ingredients into a large heavy bottomed pan (Watch carefully - because of the sugar in the recipe it will scorch, cook on a slow simmer). Cook until thick. Seal in sterilized jars. Process in hot water bath for 20 min. Makes between 9 -7 pints.



It's always hard to know when it's done. In the picture above, it's not quite ready. When I hold the spoon up, it separated and you can see the spoon under it.


In this picture, it's perfect. it clings to the spoon. Not the best picture, but you get the idea!


Sealed and ready to put away! We will love having this on the shelf for winter. Happy canning!

No comments:

Finally April~

  I know, I'm a little late, but I finally made it! Outside my window ~   I can't even tell you how happy I am that April is here!  ...